For students looking to share their creativity — and maybe even add to their resumes — UNC offers no shortage of artistic publications and showcases. 

This list is a starter guide, so be sure to check out each organization online for specific submission guidelines.

Idiosyncrazy  

For its fall and spring issues, this undergraduate literary magazine accepts emailed submissions of poetry, fiction, philosophy, art, photography and human interest — or “anything you find entertaining and eccentric,” according to its website.

Its smaller size decreases the competitiveness associated with submitting to magazines, Yubin Kim, the magazine's human interest editor, said.  

“If you’ve never submitted to a publication before, I think this is a good place to start,” Kim said. 

Submissions for the upcoming fall issue, themed "The Dark Side of the Rainbow," close on Oct. 1.

Earthtones

“It’s important to provide a platform for artists of color to have a space where they can feel genuinely comfortable sharing their artwork so that the public eye can see them a lot more and they can get more eyes on their work,” Lokumo Eteni, co-creative director of Earthtones Art Collective, said. 

According to the club's mission statement, Earthtones aims to uplift artists of color and create a collaborative environment. The collective hosts several artistic events throughout the year, such as a beat maker showcase, jam session and spring gallery show. They also publish an annual summer zine. 

None of their projects are taking submissions at the moment, but the group said to keep an eye on their social media accounts for upcoming opportunities.

This year’s zine will come out early in the semester, accompanied by a physical arts showcase in the Student Union.

Health Humanities Journal 

Every semester, this interdisciplinary journal publishes a selection of art and writing based on the intersection of the medical sciences and the human experience. 

The Health Humanities Journal Editor-in-Chief Ryan Phillips said the journal looks for heartfelt reflections about otherwise clinical topics, such as health. 

“If you have an experience that has inspired you to write and has inspired you to express the feelings, it’s going to resonate with someone else as well,” he said. 

Fall submissions close Sept. 10, with more guidelines available online.

Back Page 

At the end of each year, this UNC creative writing club puts together a group portfolio called “Deep in the Drafts.” About half of the club meetings are workshops for the portfolio, making Back Page a collaborative and social experience. 

“I would just encourage people to try because we usually get fewer submissions than we expect,” Back Page co-founder Naomi Ovrutsky said.

The club is open to any writer, regardless of the genre, she said.

Monsoon

Monsoon, UNC’s South Asian interest magazine and advocacy platform, publishes yearly issues featuring original political writing, multimedia art, creative expression and cultural pieces. 

The magazine aims to elevate, explore and express a diverse range of South Asian diasporic identities. Rachna Sehgal, former publicity chair, said Monsoon’s main goal is connecting South Asian Americans across campus and giving them a unique voice.

Monsoon takes submissions through its website, which also features its members' multimedia art, including dance, videography and music. 

The Global Gazette

This digital multimedia journal aims to integrate academic and creative expression relating to the theme of "the global" from an anticolonial lens, according to its website. 

“For me, it has been really inspiring seeing the types of things our submitters have produced, all generated from this one theme of the global,” Eleni Econopouly, former president and a founding member of the Gazette, said. 

Each semester, the journal accepts academic work and multimedia artwork through its website

Cellar Door 

Cellar Door is UNC’s oldest undergraduate literary journal. According to their website, they publish “the best poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, and art of the student body since 1973.”  

Submissions will open in the fall, and print editions are released each spring. 

Editor-in-Chief Abigail Welch said the journal wants the opinions, perspectives and voices of all undergraduates — not just creative writing or studio art students. 

Expresiones

Expresiones, a committee of Latine advocacy club Mi Pueblo, aims to create a space for Latine students to artistically express themselves in a nurturing environment, Expresiones Co-chair Destiny Garciasaid. 

The committee has no official publication but hosts several artistic events each year to support Latine students and celebrate the community’s diversity. 

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com