Rob Koll tapped to replace Coleman Scott as UNC wrestling coach

Rob Koll
UNC wrestling coach Coleman Scott, pictured coaching in Carmichael Arena on Friday, Jan. 11, 2020, is leaving the program to coach at Oklahoma State.

Rob Koll will serve as the head coach of the North Carolina wrestling team following the departure of Coleman Scott.

Koll was a 1988 national champion wrestler at UNC and previously coached at Stanford and Cornell. In his 30 years of coaching experience, Koll helped produce 74 All-Americans.

"Ever since Coach (Bill) Lam brought me to campus for the first time in 1984, I've been preparing for this opportunity," Koll said in Thursday's press release.

Koll wrestled at North Carolina from 1985 through 1988 and was the program's first four-time All-American.

Scott stepped down from his position two weeks ago to become the associate head coach at Oklahoma State. 

UNC's wrestling program has consistently performed well in the NCAA Tournament since 2018, in which UNC came in 20th place — its highest finish since 1995. Since then, the Tar Heels have steadily improved each year under Coleman's guidance. In the 2023 postseason, Scott's team achieved significant success, producing multiple All-Americans including Austin O’Connor, who clinched his second national title.

Scott was named UNC's head coach in 2015 after initially joining UNC's coaching staff in 2014 as an assistant coach. 

@lucasthomae | @shelbymswanson

Shelby Swanson

Shelby Swanson is the 2023-24 sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as an assistant sports editor and senior writer. Shelby is a junior pursuing a double major in media and journalism and Hispanic literatures and cultures.

Lucas Thomae

Lucas Thomae is the 2023-24 sports managing editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as an assistant sports editor and summer editor. Lucas is a senior pursuing a major in journalism and media with a minor in data science.