Review: Standout State Fair rides provide thrills and photo ops

20231014 - NORTH CAROLINA STATE FAIR 2023
Fairgoers ride on Vertigo at the N.C. State Fair on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2023. Vertigo is worth 5 tickets.

There’s something in the air.

Is it excitement? Is it music? Is it the smell of a deep-fried funnel cake cheeseburger with a side of ribbon fries? If you’re near the N.C. State Fairgrounds, it’s most definitely some combination of the three. 

This year at the fair, you’ll find all your quintessential attractions, including local exhibitions, heritage artisans, unhealthy — and overpriced — fair food and my personal favorites: the rides.

I love them all, but I must say I’m partial to the thrillers. Big drops, high velocities and mildly concerning seatbelts? The rides that’ll make you regret scarfing down that giant turkey leg and side of poutine? Yeah, those are my favorites. 

Fairgoers ride on Rockstar at the N.C. State Fair on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2023. Rockstar is worth 5 tickets.

Here are some standout rides from this year’s state fair.

Ferris wheels

Many fairgoers like to end their nights with a relaxing Ferris wheel ride. However, I would advise the opposite. Take a spin as soon as you arrive to get a bird's eye view of the park’s layout. 

And get this — you have six Ferris wheels to choose from. The big one — the SkyGazer — is $7 to ride, but the other five take tickets. If you’re getting an unlimited wristband, do not pay the extra money for the SkyGazer. I assure you, the other ones are just as fun.

Fairgoers ride on the Catawba Two Kings Casino SkyGazer at the N.C. State Fair on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2023. The 155-foot ferris wheel is one of the two special attraction rides and costs $7 to ride.

Street Fighter 360

This was my favorite ride of the night, complete with insane drops and long, inverted pauses. The Street Fighter swings like a pendulum while simultaneously spinning your seats in a circle, and there are three more nearly-identical rides around the fairgrounds by different names. 

I waited in line with a girl named Aubri who, like me, was itching to feel her stomach drop. At just nine years old, Aubri is already a thrill seeker who said she loves roller coasters.

Sadly, she wasn’t tall enough to ride. But I know she’ll be back one day to show that Street Fighter who’s boss.

Fairgoers ride Street Fighter 360 at the N.C. State Fair on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2023. Street Fighter 360 is worth 6 tickets.

Wave Swinger

This was a quintessential spinning swings ride, and it did not disappoint. The Wave Swinger was super fun and got me pretty dizzy, but I wouldn’t call it a thrill ride. Still, it’s great for a blurry photo op. 

Fairgoers ride on Wave Swinger 2 at the N.C. State Fair on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2023. Wave Swinger 2 is worth 5 tickets.

Tesla AC

Unless you’re hoping to leave the fair with a gigantic knot, don’t forget your hair tie for this one — a lesson I learned the hard way. 

The Tesla AC is a powerful ride, spinning you around in every way possible. I asked one rider how she felt as she wobbled off the exit ramp. 

“That I want to vomit,” she said. 

Her name was Sarah, and she does not like scary rides. But, she was glad her friends convinced her to give it a go. 

Jumbo Circus 

If you find yourself needing a break from the big and scary, I recommend trying out some of the kid-friendly rides. 

Now, before you judge, hear me out. 

The Jumbo Circus is a kid-friendly ride, but it was truly one of my favorites of the night. Riding around in a seat designed to look like an elephant, you can move yourself upward or downward with a pedal. It’s a great one to ride with a friend and makes for a cute photo op.

Inferno 

Now this one is freaky. It’s a simple design: a big, single loop that takes you up and around at high velocities. But the real kicker is when it stops for seconds — or an eternity — at the top of the loop, leaving you suspended upside down in midair.

One Inferno rider named Brandon said he was at the fair to go on scary rides.

“They make me feel some way in my stomach, and I like it," he said.

Brandon didn’t ride the Inferno last year because he said it looked scary, and after his ride this year, he confirmed that it was. 

Fairgoers ride on the Inferno at the N.C. State Fair on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2023. The Inferno is worth 5 tickets.

Zero gravity spinners

Aubri, Sarah and Brandon all said that various zero gravity rides were their favorites. The names of these rides normally include anything related to space, like the fair’s Alien Abduction or Starship 4000.

Personally, I’ve ridden enough of these to know what they feel like, and the ones at the fair were no different. But still, these gravity-defying, high-pressure spinners are clearly a fan favorite.

Logistics

I couldn’t get around to every single ride — 88 total, according to the fair’s website — so you should go and experience them for yourself. The fair runs through Sunday, Oct. 22. 

If you want to make a day out of it — and trust me, you want to make a day out of it — get an unlimited wristband. Otherwise, stick with tickets, which run $1 each. Wristbands are $40. 

Tickets and wristbands can be purchased at the gate or on the fair's website.

@allipardont

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com

Alli Pardue

Alli Pardue is the 2023-24 audience engagement editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served on the audience engagement desk as assistant editor and summer editor. Alli is a sophomore pursuing a major in media and journalism and a minor in Spanish for the professions.