A letter from the editors on submissions received about the Israel-Gaza war

opinion-op-ed-default-art.png

The Daily Tar Heel has received several op-eds of varying opinions related to the ongoing war in Israel and Gaza. 

We take notice and acknowledge the heightened emotions on UNC’s campus — and at universities across the U.S. — since Hamas attacked Israel on Oct. 7. 

After reviewing these submissions, it is clear that discussion on the topic is important to our community. 

We have decided to create a series of these op-eds titled, "Submissions on the Israel-Gaza war.” The submissions presented in the series are sent in by members of the UNC and local community outside The DTH. 

The term “op-ed” is an abbreviation for “opposite the editorial page.” The New York Times created the first op-ed page in 1970, where opinion pieces were printed on the opposite side of a news page. 

Letters to the editor and op-eds are pieces written by someone outside the newspaper who hopes to share their opinion on a specific issue. They are published in the opinion section of The DTH. Submissions are limited to approximately 500 words, and are edited for clarity, grammar, accuracy and vulgarity. Read more about The DTH opinion section, the type of content we publish, and our policies and practices here.

The DTH is committed to creating a forum for free and fair debate on our college campus and in our local community. Just as we prioritize unbiased reporting in the newsroom, The DTH also takes pride in making space for productive dialogue on our opinion page. In the past, the opinion page has served as a forum for the community to voice its diverse perspectives during and after critical moments. This remains true today.

We welcome input from everyone, and value the range of opinions and lively discourse in the opinion section of our paper and website. We reserve the right, however, to reject submissions that do not meet our editorial standards. While some readers may find language used in op-eds surprising, we believe it is crucial to accurately represent the voices within our community. To hold ourselves and our contributors accountable, anyone interested in writing an op-ed or letter is asked to provide links to reputable sources when citing a claim as fact. 

We want to be clear that columns, editorials, op-eds and letters on The DTH’s opinion page do not represent the beliefs of The DTH as an organization. Columns are written by the opinion staff of The DTH and represent the opinion of the author. Editorials represent the opinion of the Editorial Board. Op-eds and letters are representative of the contributors who submit them and do not represent the views of The DTH opinion desk, its writers or editors.

The reporters and editors who work on the news desks of the newspaper remain entirely separate and independent from the opinion section.

We understand that the role of the opinion section can be confusing for some readers. We do our best to make the separation between news and opinion — both of which are important to keep our community informed and create space for lively public discourse — clear. We welcome any and all feedback on how we are doing.

You can submit your own op-ed or letter to the editor to opinion@dailytarheel.com. More information about submissions can be found here. The DTH receives a high volume of submissions per day and has a limited capacity to publish. The opinion editor reserves the right to reject any submission.

Thank you for taking part in this forum. Whether you have questions about this series or want to submit a piece of your own, you can contact Opinion Editor Le Ha at opinion@dailytarheel.com. 

editor@dailytarheel.com | opinion@dailytarheel.com

Emmy Martin

Emmy Martin is the 2023-24 editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as the DTH's city & state editor and summer managing editor. Emmy is a junior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and information science. 

Le Ha

Le Ha is the 2023-24 opinion editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as an editorial board member. Le is a sophomore pursuing a double major in media and journalism and information science, with a business minor.