Texas A&M quarterback Max Johnson commits to UNC football program

0916_Paul_Football-Minnesota-2-2.JPG
UNC football coach Mack Brown makes plans on the sidelines during the football game against Minnesota on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023, in Kenan Stadium. UNC beat Minnesota 31-13.

Texas A&M graduate transfer quarterback Max Johnson announced his commitment to North Carolina on Wednesday, to play in his fifth collegiate football season. In a post on X, Johnson wrote “Excited to be a Tar Heel! Let’s Go!”

The SEC veteran is likely to take over the starting quarterback position from sophomore Drake Maye, who is an expected first-round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft. Johnson still has two years of collegiate eligibility remaining.

Johnson played two seasons for Texas A&M and started under center in five games for the Aggies in 2023 before his season ended after breaking his ribs. In his eight total appearances, he completed 62.1 percent of his passes for 1,452 yards and threw for nine touchdowns. 

In 2022, Johnson started three of the first four games for the Aggies before breaking a bone in his throwing hand and redshirting the rest of the season.

Prior to his time in Texas, Johnson played two seasons at LSU, where he started all 12 games of the 2021 season and threw for 2,815 yards. 

Johnson, who is the son of Super Bowl-winning quarterback Brad Johnson, was ranked as the No. 15 pro-style quarterback by 247Sports and the No. 52 overall prospect in Georgia coming out of high school.

UNC athletic communications did not provide a comment on Johnson's commitment by the time of publication.

@PeaceGwen

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com

Gwen Peace

Gwen Peace is the 2023-24 assistant sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as a senior writer. Gwen is a sophomore pursuing a double major in media and journalism and peace, war and defense.