Artist in Residency Program brings enrichment to elementary school classrooms

artscenter.jpeg
Photo contributed by Charles Pettee.

For over a decade, The ArtsCenter in Carrboro has brought immersive, artistic experiences directly to the elementary school classroom through teaching artists.

The center collaborates with four Title I Orange County elementary schools to bring various areas of art to nearly 2,000 students through their Artist in Residency Program

The ArtsCenter’s AIR Program coordinator Micky Hickey said the program hires artists across disciplines to host five-session residencies at the schools. 

This school year’s program has five core artistsCharles Pettee, Willa Brigham, Braima Moiwai, Virginia Queen and Jason Abide— each with their own unique specialties, from bluegrass and storytelling to percussion, dance and ceramics. 

Pettee is a folk musician who uses his music as a way to grab students’ attention. He said he uses bluegrass to teach them about the cultures of where it originated in Africa and Europe and the difficulties and beauties of the cultures in the United States. 

He teaches students about singing and writing songs, which he said gives them an outlet for expression.  

"There are a lot of hard things, and art is therapeutic, optimistic, inclusive and hopeful and is just a positive thing to engage in," he said. "And so we're coming in and really just trying to bring that spirit in." 

Pettee said he hopes the residency's lessons provide enrichment for the students and even fresh perspectives and ideas for their teachers. He also has an enthusiasm for diversity, equity and inclusion within the classroom, a passion he shares with The ArtsCenter itself.   

“We are here to educate and inspire artistic creativity to enrich the lives of all people of all ages,” The ArtsCenter’s Director of Marketing Lynn Lee said. “And I think one thing that we really want to focus on is making sure that all members of the community are welcome at The ArtsCenter.”

One of the schools in the program is New Hope Elementary School, which has two classes per grade level that utilize dual Spanish and English instruction to accommodate a diverse student population.

In order to be considered a Title I school, at least 40 percent of the student population must be receiving free or reduced lunch. According to New Hope principal Meredith Maier, around 76 percent of the student population qualifies for free and reduced lunch. 

New Hope’s halls are now decorated with tangible products from the residencies. A third grade class worked with a clay mosaic tile artist to create a large body of work that was assembled, fired and hung, demonstrating the students’ participation and contribution.    

Along with the core artists in the AIR Program, the ArtsCenter also works with the Children's Theatre of Charlotte to coordinate and produce a theatrical show for the elementary school students. 

Maier said that students talk about the performances frequently. The shows often have a social and emotional lesson at the heart of the story. She said that last year, students at New Hope learned about anti-bullying. 

“It's very different from what they're able to experience,” Maier said

Other artists provide opportunities for students to learn and experience more performative art forms. Maier said one of the artists teaches students lessons about family and unity with African-influenced storytelling. 

Hickey said the program provides an alternate way of learning, and that they have heard a number of stories about shy students or those having trouble engaging in the classroom coming out of their shell for the first time during the residencies. 

“I grew up in a public school system that didn't have a lot of access to arts education and just being able to go in and witness the ways these teaching artists integrate curriculum with their particular medium of art is really amazing,” Hickey said.

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com