Preview: A look at the UNC women's lacrosse team's upcoming season

20230420_Peng_wlax-unc-duke
UNC first-year midfielder Kaleigh Harden (17) passes to graduate attacker Lauren Figura (27) during the second quarter of the women's lacrosse game against Duke at Koskinen Stadium on Thursday, April 20, 2023. UNC beat Duke 13-6.

After clinching the 2022 NCAA title and then falling in the quarterfinals last year, the preseason No. 3 UNC women's lacrosse team will look to claim its second national title in three years.

The Tar Heels will waste no time in facing formidable foes as they open the 2024 campaign against No. 8 James Madison on Feb. 10. JMU senior attacker Isabella Peterson, who holds the school records of all-time goals and points, will present an early trial for UNC on both the draw circle and the defensive end.

The following week, the three-time national champions will showcase their talent in their home opener against Liberty before facing No. 12 Florida.

UNC will then travel to face No. 20 Virginia to open play in the ACC — arguably the most competitive conference in women's college lacrosse. For its final contest of the month, North Carolina will take on High Point at Dorrance Field on Feb. 25

The Tar Heels' schedule ramps up in March, with four top-10 matches sprinkled throughout the month.

The first matchup will see North Carolina face No. 7 Notre Dame at home on March 2. The following Saturday, UNC will travel to Clemson to face the Tigers, who are entering their second inaugural season. Despite the program's infancy last year, Clemson advanced to the ACC quarterfinals, falling to the Tar Heels in a 16-6 defeat

20230420_Peng_wlax-unc-duke
UNC junior midfielder Alyssa Long (10) celebrates with her teammates after scoring in the third quarter of the women's lacrosse game against Duke at Koskinen Stadium on Thursday, April 20, 2023. UNC beat Duke 13-12.

UNC will then return home for an in-state contest against East Carolina on March 12 before the team enters arguably its most challenging span of games beginning on March 16 at No. 5 Syracuse. Last year, the Tar Heels split their meetings against the Orange, with a two-goal loss in the regular season — breaking a 41-game home win streak — and an upset 15-9 victory in the ACC semifinals.

After returning to Chapel Hill to play Louisville, North Carolina will take on the consensus No. 1 and No. 2 teams in Northwestern and Boston College respectively. As the reigning national champions, the Wildcats will immediately test the Tar Heels’ defense from the first draw.

The key to victory for UNC will lie in its ability to contain the offensive prowess of Izzy Scane, the winner of the 2023 Tewaaraton Award — collegiate lacrosse's highest honor. North Carolina will depend on its backline anchors and first team All-Americans Emily Nalls and Brooklyn Walker-Welch to lock up Scane in a team-wide defensive effort.

North Carolina will be on the hunt for payback as it prepares for Boston College on March 30. The Eagles bested the Tar Heels in the 2023 ACC Championship 11-9 after Boston College put up three unanswered goals in the fourth quarter. This year, UNC will look to turn the tide back in favor of the South.

After facing the Eagles, North Carolina will have its hands full as the team faces a few more ACC opponents.

UNC is slated to host Virginia Tech on April 6 before traveling to Pittsburgh the following Saturday. Finally, North Carolina will show hospitality to Duke in a battle of the blues to conclude the Tar Heels’ regular season on April 18. 

The ACC tournament will then start up three days later on April 21 with the NCAA tournament looming in the near distance.

@meganosmithh