New UNC football defensive early enrollees look to bring talent, passion to the team

20240228_gray_jaiden-patterson-2.jpg

Early enrolled four-star prospect Jaiden Patterson is ranked as the nation's 175th-best player in the country and the No. 20 player in Georgia. Patterson is pictured during a football press conference on February 28, 2024, in Chapel Hill, NC., NC.

The defensive half of North Carolina’s early enrollees spoke to the media for the first time on Feb. 28. A handful of the 2024 first-year class, ranked as high as No. 22 in the nation according to Rivals.com, have participated in workouts and practices since UNC’s bowl game in late December. 

Now, with less than two months until the Tar Heel spring football game, here are three key takeaways from media day:

Early wake-ups and fine dining

Since the majority of early enrollees are fresh out of high school, the adjustment from Friday night lights to the DI level can be eye-opening. Nearly every recruit had some type of ‘wow moment’ after their first workout with the team. 

For defensive back Jaiden Patterson, his welcome to UNC football began with his alarm clock blaring at five in the morning. By 6:30, the 4-star prospect was in one of the most rambunctious weight rooms of his life. 

“Everybody’s energy was crazy,” Patterson said. “I was just like wow.” 

Fellow DB Tyrane Stewart had the most unique moment out of everyone. The junior college transfer admitted that life as a Tar Heel moved a whole lot faster. Ranging from workouts to classroom material, Stewart mentioned how it’s taking him time to adapt after two years at East Mississippi Community College. 

But playing at a DI level has certain perks that JUCO, the junior college level, doesn’t offer. What new luxury is Stewart most excited about? 

The hibachi

“[I] keep eating till I get big,” he said. “I like it. At JUCO we didn’t have all these resources.” 

20240228_gray_tyrane-stewart-1.jpg
A transfer from East Mississippi Community College with two years of remaining eligibility, Tyrane Stewart is ranked as the number 58 JUCO prospect and sixth-ranked cornerback. Stewart is pictured during a football press conference on February 28, 2024, in Chapel Hill, NC.

Advice from the vet

The addition of pass rushers Daniel Anderson and Curtis Simpson adds a jolt of youth to a veteran defensive line for the Tar Heels. 

20240228_gray_daniel-anderson-3.jpg
Early enrolled three-star prospect Daniel Anderson is ranked as the nation's 52nd-best edge in the country and the number 22 player in Tennessee. Anderson is pictured during a football press conference on February 28, 2024, in Chapel Hill, NC.

Last year, senior jack Kaimon Rucker led UNC in tackles for loss including a team-high 8.5 sacks. Now in his final season of football, Rucker has taken Anderson and Simpson under his wing since they first stepped foot on campus. 

090223_crochik_mayoclassicselects-05.jpg
UNC senior jack Kaimon Rucker (25) running during the Duke’s Mayo Classic against South Carolina at Bank of America Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023. The Tar Heels won 31-17.

The pair of early enrollees both praised the defensive leader for showing them the ropes early on. Anderson, who said he emulates everything the senior does, specifically sought Rucker’s advice in understanding the playbook. 

“He makes it very simple,” Anderson said. “He has his own way of making it easy to remember off the top of the [head]. The way the older players learned the playbook.” 

Anderson has also taken after Rucker’s mentality in the weight room. He saidhe models his posture to be “head up, chest out” so that his teammates never see him tired. 

As for Simpson, the 3-star prospect has enjoyed talking shop with the veteran. Like the time he and Rucker spent up to 15 minutes conversing about a simple rip move — which eventually pinpointed a technique that has already improved the rookie’s game. 

20240228_gray_curtis-simpson-3.jpg
Early enrolled three-star prospect Curtis Simpson is ranked as the nation's 22nd-best edge in the country and the number 15th player in North Carolina. Simpson is pictured during a football press conference on February 28, 2024 in Chapel Hill, NC.

“Any time I’m working with him and we’re just doing fieldwork, I’m asking questions,” Simpson said

‘Rude Boyz’

A key attribute that unites the five early enrollee defensive backs — Jalon Thompson, Ty White, Zion Ferguson, Patterson and Stewart — is the track and field background they all share. When asked who of the DBs they would take in a 100-meter dash, each track star called their own name without any hesitation. 

“I gotta be the fastest,” Thompson said, in a response similar to many others. 

20240228_gray_jalonthomspon-1-2.jpg

Early enrolled three-star prospect Jalon Thompson is ranked as the nation's 52nd-best safety in the country and the number 92 player in Florida.  Thompson is pictured during a football press conference on February 28, 2024, in Chapel Hill, NC. 

As for the credentials, Patterson clears the bunch. His six Junior Olympic medals and high school track records in the 200 and 400 meters speak for themselves. And it doesn’t just stop there. 

On special teams, Patterson’s speed off the edge allowed him to block four kicks throughout his senior season — a talent which he thanked track workouts for to build his reaction time and quick get-off. 

“I was getting my start, I would see the ball moving and I would just take off and dive,” Patterson said.

20240228_gray_jaiden-patterson-2.jpg

Outside of the trash talk about who’s the fastest, the first-year DB room already has a special bond. According to Patterson and others, it’s everyone’s fire for competition that unites the group daily. 

Throw in new defensive coordinator Geoff Collins, and the young defensive backs are playing with a chip on their shoulders. 

20240115_Sharon_fb-press-conference-24.jpg
UNC football’s new defensive coordinator Geoff Collins speaks at a press conference on Jan. 15, 2024 at Kenan Football Center.

Which makes it safe to say the DB nickname “Rude Boyz” from the 1990s isn’t going away anytime soon. 

@cadeshoemaker23