Review: Faye Webster unveils 'genre-free agenda' on new album

lifestyle-Faye-Webster-review
Photos courtesy of Adobe Stock

Faye Webster, a singer-songwriter from Atlanta who just released her fifth album on March 1, is pushing boundaries in music and proving that straying from musical trends is worthwhile.

Her new album, "Underdressed at the Symphony," escapes the margins of genre, as the internet continues to disagree on whether to label it '70s alt-country, yacht jazz, indie hip-hop or any other coalescence of musical terms to fit the album’s sound.

When I scrolled online forums filled with reviews on the album, I found myself in disagreement with the overall negative or mixed opinions I was seeing, frequently finding buzzwords like "dissonant," "unorganized" and "random."

I believe that Webster’s goal is not to be categorized or accepted, but rather to be her own category. Webster doesn’t seek — and never has sought — her audience's approval.

With "Underdressed at the Symphony," she’s rejecting the popularity and virality she gained in previous years on TikTok and other social media platforms with songs like "Jonny," "Right Side of My Neck" and "Kingston.

One of the songs on the album, "Lego Ring," is a prime example of this, using eccentric sounds like heavy electric guitar, punchy piano and whimsical riffs. Webster partnered with renowned rapper Lil Yachty to create a song that divided listeners. 

Despite the backlash "Lego Ring" first received, it is now one of Webster’s most streamed songs on Spotify, proving the success in staying true to oneself.

While I have to agree that its sound may be idiosyncratic or unconventional, I appreciate Webster’s inclination to create the music she wants to create, rather than making music for the sake of fame, approval or a check.

I find her artistic rebellion refreshing.

"Underdressed at the Symphony," the namesake of the album, is, quite simply, a reference to Webster’s spontaneous visit to the Atlantic Symphony Orchestra.

“I’m underdressed at the symphony / Cryin’ to songs that you put me on,” Webster sings in the track — my favorite from the album.

From the sudden appearance of an orchestral arrangement (taking note of the song’s meaning) to the warm, crisp undertones of the vocal layering and classical instruments, it’s a stunner. 

Webster keeps her genre-free agenda throughout the album, with songs like "eBay Purchase History" and "He Loves Me Yeah!" retaining a quirky lyrical depth and a playful overuse of AutoTune, with trippy synth sounds that suddenly mellow into gentle strings and orchestral tones.

“I woke up naturally / I forgot what I dreamed / I don’t know what to do / I’m alone but what’s new?” Webster sings in "Tttttime," weaving an undemanding narrative with easy-going melodies that remind me of that laid-back-ness of summertime — a quality Webster is known for. 

Speaking of summertime, I predict that this album is going to be on repeat soon. Get ready to hear it over the speakers of every quintessential organic coffee shop or spunky boutique once the days become consistently warmer. 

The ambiance Webster creates is one you can’t help but put on for drives with all your windows down on a hot summer night, and this remains true with "Underdressed at the Symphony." Her style is nonchalant in all the right ways.

I hope Webster continues to make not being on-trend trendy, and that she keeps writing music that pays no mind to conformity. 

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com