UNC students and local community welcome spring to Chapel Hill

lifestyle-solstice-practices-past-present.png
Images courtesy of Adobe Stock.

Last Wednesday, when temperatures peaked at 73 degrees Fahrenheit, friend groups flocked outside, setting up picnic blankets across the lawn in front of Wilson Library and lingering for hours. 

Some read books, some played ultimate frisbee and others simply basked in the first full day of spring, which came after a few days of cloudy skies and brisk chills. 

The vernal equinox, which astronomers consider to be the first official day of spring in the Northern Hemisphere, occurs every year between March 19 and March 21. During the equinox, the Earth’s axis lines up so that most places receive more balanced amounts of sunlight and darkness.

In Chapel Hill, student and community organizations are celebrating the season change with a variety of cultural and religious events throughout the next few weeks.

On Wednesday evening, Erin Harker, a self-proclaimed witch and the founder of Durham-based store for modern magick practitioners, the Magick Makers LLC, hosted an equinox-themed social at the Graduate Chapel Hill. 

At the event, Harker gave tarot readings related to the concept of renewal that her spiritual practice associates with spring.

Many pagans attach great spiritual significance to the spring equinox because of its connection to the natural world, Harker said

She also said that the equinox coincides with the astrological new year, which occurred when the sun entered the sign of Aries on March 19. 

“The sun is out longer, and it has this kind of transformational quality to it as well,” she said. “Where we just have an opportunity to look at where we want to grow and what direction we want to take for the year, and celebrate the Earth waking up again after a long winter.”

Another festival based on the spring equinox is Nowruz, also known as the Persian New Year. The holiday is the first day of Farvardin, the first month of the Iranian solar calendar

For UNC junior Maeve Kimia, co-president of the UNC Persian Cultural Society, Nowruz is a time to gather with family and perform rituals related to the new year. The holiday is celebrated by a variety of religious and ethnic groups.

“Before the new year, everyone does this massive cleaning,” Kimia said. “To prepare, so you don’t bring your dirt from the past year into this new one.” 

Kimia said that one of the primary traditions associated with Nowruz is the Haft-sin, in which participants arrange seven items, including apples, garlic, vinegar and sumac on a table. 

Each component symbolizes different virtues the person wants to manifest into their life in the coming year. 

UNC Holi Moli will also be welcoming the beginning of spring with their annual student-run festival of colors on April 6.

Based on the Indian harvest festival of the same name, UNC’s Holi celebration aims to spread awareness about South Asian cultures while encouraging the wider UNC community to enjoy the festivities.

At the event, students throw powdered colors, traditionally known as gulal, at each other and watch performances by South Asian dance teams.  Proceeds from this year's event will go to the Orange County Rape Crisis Center as well as The Desai Foundation, a women’s health organization working to improve menstrual equity in India.

According to Holi Moli co-president and UNC senior Mansi Gupta, the appeal of the event extends beyond its Hindu religious origins, which honor the triumph of good over evil and the arrival of spring.

“A lot of students support this event, because the way that it’s presented is, 'here’s all these students throwing color in the air; laughing; smiling; music,' and I don’t think there’s anything like this on campus,” Gupta said.

For some of the quad-sitting UNC students on the first day of spring, the season in Chapel Hill is a chance to expand their social horizons. 

UNC sophomore Anna Poydock said that last spring, they met many new people by hanging out on the quad.  

“I definitely sat with a lot people that I didn’t know, or I’d sit with friends of friends,” Poydock said. “During the spring, I do tend to exit my social bubble.” 

UNC junior Sriya Chalasani said warmer weather in Chapel Hill feels different than other points in the school year. 

“I enjoy walking to classes in the sun, and I’m less sad,” Chalasani said. “There’s just more people out and about and it's a lot more sociable.”

@phoebemartel1

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com