Saturday, July 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 7 North Carolina women's lacrosse falls to No. 5 Notre Dame, 7-5

20240302_gray_womens-lax-vs-notredame-4.jpg
UNC freshman attacker Eva Ingrilli runs the ball down the field during the women’s lacrosse game against Notre Dame on March 2, 2024 at Dorrance Field. UNC and Notre Dame are tied 3 - 3 at the half.

The No. 7 North Carolina women’s lacrosse team (4-2) fell to the No. 5 Notre Dame (5-1) 7-5 in a tough Saturday morning match-up. 

After numerous violations, turnovers, saves and missed shots from both teams, the game went scoreless for the first twelve minutes. Notre Dame’s Madison Ahren put the ball between the pipes on a free position shot after a violation on junior defender Adair Martin

The first quarter saw no goals from UNC, but seven turnovers, four team fouls and three saves from junior goalkeeper Alecia Nicholas

Halfway through the second quarter, Ahren scored again off of a high-soaring whipped ball that crashed through the pipes. 

UNC graduate defender Gabi Hall fouled Notre Dame's Jackie Wolak, leading to a free position shot and causing a deficit of 3-0. 

After graduate defender Emily Nalls gained the following draw control, senior midfielder Alyssa Long weaved through her defenders to obtain UNC’s first goal of the game. 

North Carolina capitalized off of its next power play free position opportunity when first-year attacker Eva Ingrilli crashed the goal and soared the ball through iron bars. 

The Tar Heels leveled the game when graduate attacker Ashely Humphrey assisted redshirt junior attacker Reilly Casey in a cut from behind the goal. 

To begin the second half, Ahren scored her third goal of the game off of a free position due to a UNC violation. 

Another unforced UNC turnover led to a fast break opportunity for the Fighting Irish and allowed Ahren to score yet again. 

Off a pass inside and a quick stick, UNC tallied a goal from senior attacker Caitlyn Wurzburger, with sophomore Kiley Mottice credited for the assist. 

The Fighting Irish increased their lead off a cut inside and shot to the top of the goal. Moments later, they brought the lead to three goals with another Wolak stroke. 

First-year midfielder Julia O’Connor cut in and scored off of a free position shot to put an end to Notre Dame’s run. 

The Tar Heels could not crawl back from this deficit though, eventually falling to Notre Dame 7-5. 

North Carolina will travel to play Clemson on March 9. The game is slated to start at 3 p.m. 

@aplancaster_