'It can really work wonders': Dogs on campus provide students support, piece of home

lifestyle-campus-famous-pets

After growing up around cats, rabbits, frogs, llamas, donkeys, axolotls and more, first-year Ella Parry found herself sometimes feeling anxious and detached from home when she moved to UNC without a furry companion.

Following the active shooter on campus last August, she decided to remedy the emotions she felt by applying for an Emotional Support Animal.

“Coming to UNC and not having something to take care of — I felt like I was losing my mind,” Parry said. 

Students diagnosed with mental health disabilities are allowed to request approval for ESAs to live in on-campus housing. Once approved by the University's Accessibility Resources and Service Office, these animals provide therapeutic and motivational support in residence halls across campus.

By pouring her energy into miniature dachshund Elton, Parry was forced to care both for her dog and herself.

Her schedule is organized to ensure that Elton is well-socialized and attended to. With her roommate as a "co-parent," the duo ensures Elton is rarely alone in the room for longer than an hour.

Because they are not service dogs, and don’t provide physical or visual assistance to their owners, ESAs are only permitted in their designated residential spaces, and prohibited from entering dining facilities, libraries, academic or athletic buildings. 

Despite this, Parry finds many opportunities to involve Elton in the community. Some days it's an enjoyable Franklin Street walk with strangers who become Elton's new friends, and other days it's a visit to Carolina Coffee Shop for a pup cup with blue whipped cream.

“There's something about it — just petting a dog, it can really work wonders,” she said. “I love whenever I walk him around campus, just seeing that effect take hold in other people, even if it's a complete stranger.”

Sophomore Resident Advisor Hannah Isenhour and her golden retriever, Jake, have known each other for almost a decade. Their bond has only grown since she brought him to UNC last fall. 

“He's seeing me going through all these changes, but he's stayed steady and very loving,” Isenhour said. “I think that he is just a great support.”

Although planning for his needs takes time management skills, Isenhour said that Jake is relaxed, low-energy and approachable, which makes caring for him non-exhaustive. 

Within her suite, with her residents and outside the dorm, Isenhour knows Jake brings emotional support to more than just her. When she sits in the Quad, she lets Jake off his leash to do one of his favorite things — interact with students and, occasionally, other dogs.

UNC math professor Mark McCombs has brought his dog, Uma, to campus for nearly eight years. Although she is not officially an ESA, Uma makes frequent appearances on UNC's open spaces, bringing comfort and reminders of home for students around exams and holidays. 

McCombs first brought Uma to campus after a conversation with a former student who was upset by a difficult test. Trying to calm her anxiety, McCombs brought his dog to interact with her the next day.

Now, McCombs hosts special “Umapalooza” throughout the year. In addition to running an Instagram page for Uma, McCombs also sells t-shirts to support a no-kill dog shelter in Siler City. His relationship with Uma is quite well known around campus, and all his students know about her as she makes frequent appearances in their presentations, homework problems and Zoom classes.

“It can help remind or reconnect [students] with a feeling of safety or comfort,” he said.

This Sunday, an end of year “Umapalooza” will be hosted at 3 p.m. in Polk Place to relieve stress before finals start the following week.

@delphine_sbl

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com