UNC Symphony Orchestra conductor Tonu Kalam takes his final bow

20240424_Acharya_UNCSymphonyOrchestra-2.jpg

UNC Symphony Orchestra music director and conductor Tonu Kalam bows before the audience during the orchestra's performance on Wednesday, April 25, 2024.

On Wednesday, a packed crowd at the UNC Symphony Orchestra concert rumbled in a glorious standing ovation as Professor Tonu Kalam gripped the podium in Memorial Hall for the last time. 

Last night was the renowned conductor's final performance before he retires after 36 years of working in the UNC Department of Music and leading the orchestra.

“I've accomplished what I want to accomplish and I sort of feel like I'm retiring when I'm still on top of my game,” Kalam said.

To his colleagues and friends, Kalam will always be known for his quiet, deeply thoughtful, encyclopedia-like mind. 

On first meeting him, students might find Kalam’s accomplishments and personality intimidating, but David Kimprincipal cellist of the orchestra, said that they soon learn he is kind, understanding and — in the right setting — will crack jokes. 

“I'll really miss his demeanor, I'll miss his ability to conduct and his wealth of knowledge,” Matthew Gimbel, a senior and the orchestra's principal bassist, said. “He's really an excellent resource in this genre and in this art form.”

An alumnus of Harvard University, the University of California at Berkeley and the Curtis Institute of Music, Kalam trained under esteemed conductors and composers. He has conducted hundreds of performances and received numerous prizes, including the 2012 American Prize in Orchestral Performance with the UNC symphony.

Gimbel said when Kalam complimented his playing in an audition, it stuck with him and motivated him throughout the year.

Kim describes Kalam as someone with charisma, aura and a highly-developed, particular taste. He said that Kalam’s musicality always tells a story, and that it inspires him to give an “informed performance.”

At the beginning of each new cycle of music, Kalam sits down with the orchestra and dives into the history, interpretations and audience receptions of the chosen works. This practice is formulaic, rhythmic and rewarding for students, Gimbel said.

Upon entering his UNC career, Kalam inherited a small 40-member orchestra with high yearly turnover. Three and a half decades later, he has expanded the program to include twice that number, with members who return year after year.

Kalam said that this task was accomplished only through perseverance and patience. The group has grown to play challenging repertoire with higher level players and has recruited a greater “pool of talent."

“That has been a gratifying part of being here as long as I have,” he said. “Building an ensemble that has stabilized and being able to retire and turn over the ensemble in good shape for the next person.”

For his last concert, Kalam chose to conduct Johannes Brahms’ Schicksalslied in collaboration with the UNC Chamber Singers and the Carolina Choir, followed by Tchaikovsky’s fifth symphony. 

The Tchaikovsky is melodic, energetic and utilizes the full orchestra. Kalam said he picked the piece because it is enjoyable for woodwind, brass and string players. He described the composition as a “standard warhorse” that audiences relate to immediately.

Kim called the piece a rollercoaster. Despite its nearly 50-minute length, he said when performing onstage, it goes by quickly.

“He picks the pieces that are just hard enough that it takes us the entirety of the rehearsals — up until the dress rehearsal, up until the concert — to get it, but we always somehow manage,” Kim said.

When choosing repertoire, Kalam looks to accomplish two objectives: ensure that the pieces match the orchestra's abilities, while allowing students to experience a diverse range of works.

The social and manual skills students learn in an orchestral environment are applicable to many fields including medical and business careers, Kalam said. Playing and performing teaches abstract thinking, manual dexterity and interpersonal communication.

For students, orchestra is a place to learn, express themselves and make friends. 

“Orchestra is the place where I find community,” Gimbel said. “I think it's always been an integral part of my education. It would be so weird not to have it. I don't know what I would do without it.”

Kalam’s successor, Evan Harger, was chosen after a selection process that involved a trial rehearsal with the orchestra.

Kalam plans to continue being involved in the music scene by hosting workshops and clinics, guest conducting and judging competitions outside of UNC. He will also attend UNC orchestra concerts and chamber performances.

Ultimately, he said that music is an important element of people's lives and is able to speak in a way that transcends language.

“I mean, can you imagine a silent world?” he asked.

@delphine_sbl

@dthlifestylelifestyle@dailytarheel.com