Column: Reap the benefits of reflection as this academic year wraps up

20240229_Gao_university-quad_1
UNC students walk through the Polk Place on Thursday, Feb. 29, 2024.

As the academic school year comes to an end, it is valuable to take a step back and reflect on the past year. Whether you're about to graduate and conquer the real world or you just arrived at UNC this year, reflecting on each year helps you observe how much you have accomplished and how much further you have to go.

As cliché as it sounds, it is true that time in college flies by. Due to our busy schedules, it can be difficult to find the time to take a step back and process everything going on around you. You blink — and all of a sudden it's May.

To avoid time passing you by, try to take the space to reflect. It allows you to slow down and process events that just happened instead of jumping to the next moment without a thought. It invites feelings of gratitude and appreciation for the past experiences you had that brought you to this present moment and allows for celebration of how far you have come.

Reflecting can help you become a more effective communicator and leader because you know what strategies work best for you. It can make you more adaptable and resilient in times of adversity because you spend time learning from how you overcame previous struggles. I find myself more motivated during challenging times after reflecting on problems I conquered in the past, reminding me that I am capable of doing it again. These are skills that are vital in every area of life and that will help you thrive in whatever career you choose.

Looking back on your year, month, week or even day can help you develop a stronger self-awareness and understanding of who you are. Reflection  promotes personal growth because it allows you to understand why you might have acted a certain way in situations and contemplate ways you could have acted differently. By analyzing your actions and the outcome, you can learn from them and be better in the future.

While there are many ways to reflect, I like to journal. I have kept a journal for years and use it to process any strong emotions I am having or reflect on experiences that are coming to an end. By putting my thoughts down on paper, I can visually see everything I have experienced and think deeply about the events of each year.

Writing down my thoughts and experiences allows me to replay certain situations and evaluate how I handled them. This tool of reflection helps me see times when I should have spoken my mind or times I should have kept quiet. It helps me learn from the actions I made in the past year and plan ways I can better myself for the next one. Additionally, it makes me feel grateful for my life experiences and the people who support me.

I am a sophomore about to reach the halfway point of my college career. When I reflect on my two years at UNC, what stands out to me is how my relationships have changed from August 2022 to now. One of the most important things reflecting has taught me is that relationships shift and that some people are not meant to be in your life forever. It has also taught me to live fully in the moment and be vulnerable.

I encourage you to take a step back and reflect on this past year. Celebrate how much you have accomplished, learn from your past actions and create new goals for the next semester. If you are struggling, here are some questions for you to ponder about during these last few weeks.

What was the greatest lesson you learned? What are you proud of? When were you challenged? Are you content with where you ended this year? Did you complete any goals you previously set? Who helped you this year, and who did you let go of?

What can you do better next year?

@dthopinion | opinion@dailytarheel.com