Saturday, July 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Word on the street: What are your summer plans?

20230413_Austin_opinion-what-to-do-not-summer-internship--8.jpg

DTH Photo Illustration. A pair of red plastic sunglasses rest next to a stairwell at Kenan Stadium at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on Thursday, April 13, 2023.

The anticipation for summer was palpable as students raced to finish their meal swipes, studied endlessly for finals and made plans for beach trips with friends. Now, the dog days have arrived.

The Daily Tar Heel's Nithya Indlamuri talked to UNC students about their summer. 

Benit Namahoro Jabo, first-year, computer science major

“I'm excited to go back home, spend time with family, shadow some hospitals and get involved in the medical field. I'm excited, especially getting into a research lab — it's gonna be a lot of fun.”

Abigail Kessel, recent graduate, Bachelor of Arts in journalism and computer science

“I don't really have much of a summer break. I start my job June 17 and I'll be a software engineer at Fidelity in Raleigh, which I guess it's cool, but I wish I had more time to do cute things before my job starts.”

“I'm excited to still see my friends who will be around.”

Johna Speller, first-year, pre-business and political science major

“Right now my summer plans are to take summer classes. I think I have the room to myself, so I'm excited to have a single.”

“I might be going to Las Vegas this summer, so that should be very fun, and plan on watching a lot of movies, getting my sleep schedule together, spending some time with God — just getting myself right.”

Cameron Neale, junior, history and journalism major

“This summer I'm working full time at the University Development Office in their marketing and content section, which is essentially just writing articles about events around the University. I'm excited. It's a very different job than anything I've had in the past because I'm very history focused and so I've done a lot of museum work, so building more of my journalism skills. And then also, a lot of my friends are in the area so being able to hang out and actually do fun things when I'm not working.”

Rathisree Seenivasan, first-year, neuroscience major

I'm probably really excited to go to India because I get to see my grandparents again. But I'm also doing this medical assistant thing with a clinic in India, so I'm just really excited to see a different perspective.”

Alicia Lin, first-year, pre-business and health policy management major

“The part that I'm most excited for is I'm studying abroad in Scotland. And I've never been abroad for that long before, so I'm really excited to be able to do that.”

Cat Gorman, sophomore, environmental health science major

“I'm going to go back home to Atlanta for a few weeks and then I'm actually headed to Guatemala for a public health internship through GlobeMed at UNC, which is a club, and I am gonna go do a bunch of stuff there, which I'm really excited about.”

“And I'm really excited because there's a lot of different projects we're gonna work on when we're there, so hopefully, it'll help out some people.”

Morgan Sentas, first-year, biology major

“I am going to take a road trip down the West Coast and then go to Alaska, so I'm really excited for that. And then other than that, I'm spending time with my family in Massachusetts.”

Anna Phan, sophomore, biology major

“I'm taking some summer classes back at home in Charlotte at the community college and I'm also taking my CNA (certified nursing assistant) program.”

Atif Mohamed, first-year, computer science major

“I'm going to Minnesota — Minneapolis, Minnesota — to work in climate change for eight weeks, and then we go to Egypt to spend the rest of my summer. I'm most excited about exploring Minneapolis. I'm an international student, so Minnesota will be my second state to visit in the United States. So, I’m excited to learn more about it, and to work on climate change. I've been interested in climate change, to learn more about it and maybe contribute. I'm excited to go to Egypt and see my family.”

Lauren Thompson, recent graduate, Bachelor of Arts in exercise and sports science and communication studies

I'm going to work with the College Football Hall of Fame. And then I'm going to Barbados and my senior trip is potentially going to be in St. Thomas.”

Nidhi Padala, sophomore, computer science and statistics major

I'm doing a remote internship that's working with AI and health care, and then hopefully I will also be making mini trips to New York, and hopefully, Chicago because my friends will be doing stuff there, so I kind of want to just go visit them — kind of resetting just because it's been a long year. It's time to go home.”

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com