A breakdown of all the championships that UNC won in the 2023-24 school year

DSC_0663.jpg
The 2023 NCAA field hockey championship trophy is being lifted in the air by the UNC field hockey team after defeating Northwestern in the championship game at the Karen Shelton Stadium on Sunday, Nov. 19, 2023.

Some people call it the University of National Champions. Others just call it the University of North Carolina. Regardless of the title, UNC certainly knows how to capture championships.

In fact, that’s exactly what it did this school year, leading the ACC in conference championships.

Here’s a breakdown of all of UNC's national and conference titles:

Field Hockey (National Championship and ACC title)

Under first-year head coach Erin Matson, the UNC Field Hockey team not only shocked the entire field hockey world but also the entire collegiate sports world, not missing a beat and dominating the 2023 season.

After the retirement of legendary coach Karen Shelton, Matson — a four-time national champion and three-time Honda Award winner as a player — became the youngest head coach in all of Division 1 athletics. 

She led the Tar Heels to their seventh consecutive ACC Championship, besting rival Duke, 2-0. They then went on to beat No. 2 Northwestern in penalty shootouts to win their 11th NCAA Field Hockey Championship — the most of any school — on their home turf in front of a program-record sellout home crowd.

Led by 2023 Honda Award Winner Ryleigh Heck and ACC Freshman of the Year Charly Bruder, UNC proved doubters wrong with a seamless head coaching transition as it captured its fifth national title in just six years.

Women’s Tennis (ACC Championship)

The reigning national champion women’s tennis team defied the odds and upset the No. 4 Virginia Cavaliers to win their first ACC title since 2021.

Amid a rollercoaster of a season up until that point, UNC captured the doubles point and then Elizabeth Scotty, Reilly Tran and first-year Tatum Evans all stepped up and won their singles matches to clinch the win for the Tar Heels.

They will begin their quest to win back-to-back outdoor titles next weekend as the NCAA tournament gets underway.

Men’s Track and Field (ACC Championship)

For the first time since 1996, the men’s track and field team won the ACC Indoor Title earlier this spring.

The Tar Heels were led by Parker Wolfe, who finished atop the men’s mile podium with a school, meet and ACC record time of 3:54:17, as well as capturing the 3,000 meter title.

Blaise Atkinson had the second top podium finish for the Tar Heels, finishing in third place in the men’s 60m hurdles final, helping contribute to their overall championship-winning total of 93 points. 

Fencing (ACC Championship)

The longest championship drought of this list is now over, as the UNC men's fencing squad captured its first title in over four decades.

With its first championship since 1980 and first under 2024 ACC Men’s Fencing Coach of the Year and former Tar Heel Matt Jednak, the season marked a new chapter for the Tar Heels fencing program. Led by freshman Boris Muga, who was named the ACC’s Most Valuable Fencer, UNC went undefeated in the ACC Team Championships, beating Notre Dame, Boston College, and Duke en route to the win.

Men’s Golf (ACC Championship)

The UNC men’s golf team defeated Florida State last weekend.

Winning their first title since 2006 and 12th in school history, seventh-year head coach Andrew DiBitetto joined the short list of UNC coaches to win a men’s golf ACC Championship. All five starting Tar Heels — Peter Fountain, David Ford, Austin Greaser, Maxwell Ford, and Dylan Menante — helped contribute on the way to UNC’s title clinching round.

@anna_laible

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com