Canvas

Sam Lewis charms crowd at Cat's Cradle

Sam Lewis combined humor and musical talent in his show at Cat's Cradle Thursday night. 

The up-and-coming country artist opened up for Grammy award winning Chris Stapleton earlier this summer at Cary's Koka Booth Amphitheater, and is now also doing solo shows around the country. 

The casual performance atmosphere at Cat's Cradle is similar to the kind of venues Lewis is used to performing in. His Nashville roots showed through in his country songs, all of which tell a different story in each one. Before some of the songs, he gave a background story as to why he wrote the song, which helped the audience connect to his music

After interviewing him on the phone for a recent Daily Tar Heel Q&A, I realized how casual of a person he is. His portion of the show lasted a little over an hour, where his songs and humorous banter with his band mixed to keep the audience moving and laughing. Because of the small venue in Cat's Cradle's Back Room, Lewis was able to make the show interactive with the audience. He made jokes while tuning his guitar in between songs, and told about his experiences he had in Carrboro prior to performing.

Following the show, Lewis stepped offstage and walked over to meet fans from the audience. He introduced himself and made conversation with each and every one who made their way over to him.

Also, a few of his family members showed their support by coming to the show.

When it was my turn to meet him in person, he remembered me from the phone call.

"Hey, I know you!" he said, as I introduced myself.

Moments like this show Sam connects with his fan base, which continues to grow with each show.