Diversions

5 Questions: Nightlight

Once upon a time, two local business shared a space on Rosemary Street. The Nightlight, a mult-purpose community arts space focusing on the experimental, and Skylight Exchange, a sandwich shop and bookstore that controlled the space during the day, shared their location. But last year, Skylight closed up, leaving full control to its more artistic half. And man have they taken advantage of it. Expanding into higher profile concerts, more experimental events, art shows and other enterprises, Nightlight has become a private club with a space that's open to just about anything. In advance of the Nightlight Genesis Party this Saturday, which celebrates the venue's first year of independence, Diversions Editor Jordan Lawrence chatted quickly with Nightlight owner Alexis Mastromichalis on its current state and future.

Dive: How's the Nightlight doing a year into its independence?

Alexis Mastromichalis: It's changed so much. It's going really well. We were able to completely renovate and gut and clean the club. We've also extended our hours. I'm not sure if it's for the best. I'm not sure if it's worth it to stay open later without a show. But we're getting to that level where we're a club, and we can have liquor. And we can continue to have good shows.

Dive: How have patrons responded to the switch to a private membership club?

AM: Much better than ever. Better than I thought. We have over 600 members now. We're really lucky that other clubs in the area have done it. People already understand and know about it. We've tried to run a really tight ship. We're actually, for the first 6 months, in a temporary status. We're even stricter right now because we can't f--k up. People get fined. You can get fined up to $2000.

But it's a good way that we've bene able to meet people and regulate the crowd. If it gets too wild it's like, "Hey, who are you? Are you a member?"

Dive: Has the mission of the Nightlight changed at all?

AM: I don't think so at all. I think we've been so lucky to continue having the space. I think the mission of being an experimental community arts space continues. I think before we were really restricted. You had to make it look like a restaurant again the next day.

I've been curating art shows. I put in a garden in the back. Having our own space has really opened it up. It's been sort of the same crew running it, but I've been pushing to keep the doors open. I've always worked at Nightlight. When I became the owner, I was like we have to book more UNC events and fun stuff. People aren't going to come if it's just noise or a dance party.

Dive: How has having shows presented by Cat's Cradle affected things?

AM: We've actually been doing it for over a year now. I think it's important to continue the legacy of the space. Nightlight is  the original Cat's Cradle. I have a really good relationship with the owner of the Cradle, so i think it's important. It brings in a different crowd a different artist, a person who's coming from a different booking agency. I've been able to get other relationships through that.

The cradle has this built in network. So many people come out regardless of what it is. It's just a a Cat's Cradle thing. People always check it out.

For years have always had another day job. I just quit. I'm going to do Nighlight full time. It's so great to be able to do more booking. Financially now, I think I can make it happen. I've always had to hold it back because of another job. We just signed another lease, and we're on it.

Dive: How is doing things other than music important to the Nightlight?

AM: I have a dance background. I've always done dance collaborations. I think we've lacked in the visual arts, lacked in a way to support it. We had many failed attempts to do art, you know because of the books. I've done three shows this year.The next one we're having is next Friday. We try to let the artists do whatever they want.  Artists who come to me have been like, "I've never had the freedom to really have art and I really appreciate the opportunity."

I've got good shows booked to the end of the year. We just confirmed a rock opera for four nights. It's going to be a reenactment of "Labyrinth." For the November art show, the art show is going to be a preview of all of the art that they're making. They're turning the courtyard into a maze.