Diversions

Interesting CD releases for Sep. 8

Today's CD releases comes down to two biggies. One is one of the most anticipated records of the year. The other is a reunion for a local stalwart after 12 years away.

Jay-Z's The Blueprint 3 has been likening itself to be the biggest, most important hip hop record to come out in a while. And it's easy to believe it might get there. With a ridiculously great single in "D.O.A. (Death of Autotune)" and a leak that's been raging across the Internet in the last week, garnering praise left and right, it looks like it could live up to its own hype. And while I haven't heard a lot of the album first hand, I can tell you I'm incredibly excited for this one and will be heading out soon to pick up my copy. If you still need some convincing before you go get it, check this week's Dive for our review.

If you're at all acquainted with local music the mention of a new Polvo record should get your ears perking up big time. The mathy, noisy, almost impossible to describe Chapel Hill indie rock band that helped put the scene on the map in the '90s returns with In Prism, its first record since 1997. While the band sometimes shows the rust of having been away a while, the majority of this record is brimming with all the sonic thrills that fans have to come to expect from this always ambitious outfit. To get a full opinion, check out this week's Dive and check out my review.

That's the highlights. Check Dive this week to learn about a few more goodies heading your way.