Diversions

No man is an island

Keegan Dewitt - Nightlight - Sept. 16

Nashville’s Keegan DeWitt lit up the Nightlight Wednesday evening as he stopped in Chapel Hill on tour for his new album Islands. DeWitt, whose openers consisted of Brooklyn’s Wakey!Wakey! and fellow Nashville band Parachute Musical, played for an intimate crowd, accompanied by fellow guitarist Bryan Cates. DeWitt crooned a succinct set of his newest songs with sparse instrumentation. Though the violins that are interspersed on Islands were missing in action, DeWitt proved that his songs stand up to the challenge of a raw, pared down performance. His live version of “Come Celia” was particularly notable, infused with emotion that conveyed better in person than on the album. DeWitt also listed the influences that inspired “Come Celia,” citing Auden’s poetry. As with so many Nightlight shows, the night was informal and lighthearted. The lounging audience-members enjoyed Wakey Wakey’s strange vernacular (“Perfski” for perfect, “Keegski” for Keegan) alongside their piano-centric brand of indie pop, and Parachute Musical kept the energy high with its fast tempo piano romp and a joke about "Gilmore Girls." DeWitt, the last performer, demonstrated that Islands holds it own in a live setting. Backed by a drum set and two guitars, his inimitable voice sounded especially velvety, the ideal anecdote for a rainy Wednesday night.

Click below for more photos.

Wakey Wakey

Parachute Musical

Keegan Dewitt

- Photos by Jordan Lawrence