Diversions

Mixtape Round-Up 16-29

Two weeks off but this week had a lot of good stuff. Also if you haven't already gone and checked it out, get Mike Posner's One Foot Out The Door.

So one of the best DJs to do his thing, DJ Jazzy Jeff has been apart of some great projects before and this is no exception. Jeff teams up with clothing company UNDRCRWN to put together a project of some of his favorite material. The 49 songs sound like a club set and stray from the normal string of popular hits. Jeff says they dug back to get both remixes and obscure tracks from the very beginning of Mike's career back in his Jackson 5 days. Some really cool stuff here, and corresponding with This is It, makes this week a good reason to recelebrate the man. But do looking cool with this Jazzy Jeff tape, not buying commemerative coins.

What's Good?: "2,4,6,8" [Pete Rock Remix], "Rock With You" Feat. Fela Kuti

Tracklist and Download link for He's the King, I'm the DJ

Hip-hop power group Idle Warship just released a new tape which is actually its first full-length. Party Robot is Talib Kweli, Graph Nobel and Res' coming out celebrationand it is just that. This is true music, not just a label attempt to put two artists together to make it look real nice. For fans of underground rap that weren't already excited, Blaqstarr, Skyzoo and Saul Williams are also featured on the release. Production wise it is pretty much like anything else Talbi Kweli has done in the past and benefits from some live instrumentation. Lots of good stuff on here. Doesn't blow you away but you'll be replaying it.

What's Good?: "Black Snake Moan," "Steady"

Tracklist and Download link for Party Robot

Here that? Something besides 50's new album leaked this week. Lil' Wayne's newest mixtape was supposed to drop on Halloween, but got the treatment a couple days early (Apparently this isn't even the final version yet). Remember when Lil' Wayne used to rap, like back on Dedication or the third Drought? Yeah, that's what this is like. Of course this goes down after the weapons rap he just took too. Guess it takes real life to get you focused again sometimes. This is just Weezy F going in on all those radio beats you hear all the time, but makes them all pretty much better. I really am not a big Wayne fan, but I've been playing this.

What's Good?: "Throw it in the Bag (Remix)," "I'm Good"

Tracklist and Download link for No Ceilings