Diversions

The Movie Trail for Oct. 27

In honor of Halloween, first up is “The Wolfman,” a remake of 1941’s “The Wolf Man.” I’m normally wary of horror remakes, but this has three perpetually watchable actors: Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, and Hugo Weaving.  The trailer shows off some pretty impressive visuals- lots of action, good makeup, and some realistic-looking special effects.  That being said, the generic, pulsing rock music in the background of the trailer doesn’t bode all that well (far too reminiscent of the “Max Payne” trailer), but I’m willing to overlook it for the time being.

Click above for more trailers.

I must confess that “Toy Story” and “Toy Story 2” were never really part of my childhood- budding film snob that I was, I was too busy watching stuff like “All Quiet on the Western Front” and “Key Largo.”  So the sudden wave of nostalgia I get when watching the “Toy Story 3” trailer is inexplicable, especially since it isn’t all that funny (although the Spanish Buzz Lightyear joke is inspired).  But hey, I guess I’ve aged out of the target audience.  For those who are looking to reconnect with their inner child, check out the trailer below.

Since there aren’t a whole lot of fresh trailers this week, I’ll finish up with the well-worn topic of Nicholas Cage’s slowly self-destructing career.  For those of you who were whipped into a frenzy by the preview for “Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans” and just can’t get enough of the man, I present the teaser for “Season of the Witch.”  For the 0.07% of the population that loved “The Wicker Man” remake, this should really be exciting.  It contains a scant two lines of dialogue, including Cage saying “the head! Cut off the head!” with the least amount of emotion possible.  But hey, who am I to judge based on 30 seconds of film? It’s got to be better than “Bangkok Dangerous,” right? Right?