Diversions

Dive TV for Nov. 2

Remember when MTV and VH1 actually played music videos instead of showing us more than we ever wanted to know about Flavor Flav's love life and kids who spend more on their sixteenth birthday party than all of your previous (and probably future) birthday parties combined? That's why every Monday I'll be doing a roundup of the previous week's best new music videos. So you don't have to stay up until 4 AM to find music videos on your TV that aren't Miley Cyrus or Nickelback.

First up this week is Jay-Z and Alicia Keys with "Empire State of Mind." It's about as epic as their great performance at the MTV Video Awards. I won't lie, I was kind of hoping to see Lil Mama pop up unexpectedly in the background of each shot.

Click above to see more videos.

Next is the first video to follow Tegan and Sara's new album Sainthood released last week. Here, the twins do all sorts of quirky things in a hotel room, including playing with cootie catchers, playing tug-of-war through a wall, and interacting with a a weird faceless blue mummy.

Finally, we have a really clever new video from Los Angeles rock duo No Age. It's shot from the point of view of two inquisitive mice, who may not be just mice after all. It's moves at breakneck speed, so it may take a couple watches to catch everything.