Diversions

Dive TV for Nov. 23

There's some very...interesting videos out this week. I'll start out with the video that provides the least amount of head-scratching, and then we'll work our way up the crazy scale. And the winners of the "least-crazy" title (unsurprisingly) goes to prep-tastic Vampire Weekend. The song is "Cousins," and it will be on their upcoming album Contra, due out this January. The boys spend their time here playing their instruments frantically on a moving platform going down the world's longest alleyway. Cute and quirky things happen in between. Which actually sounds similar to the idea of every other Vampire Weekend music video. But it still beats doing homework! Watch below:

Click above to see more.

Charlotte Gainsbourg has enlisted the help of Beck Hansen for her upcoming album IRM. If your expectations aren't already through the roof, then let this video get you even more excited. It's an alternate reality-type video, and in this reality baseball is played with oranges, men only have half a beard, Spongebob gets taken to the floor by the cops and it's normal for people to have hamburgers for heads. Oh, and Beck is extremely good at creepily popping up in the background. You're going to have to watch this video at least 4 times before you catch everything, but it's worth it:

If that strange reality hasn't got you feeling a little disoriented, then may I present to you: Bob Dylan's music video for the Christmas classic, "Must Be Santa." Yes, you read that right. I'm not exactly sure why this exists. Maybe he's finally gone senile. Maybe as an artist who has never followed convention, he still gets a kick out of doing exactly what we don't expect him to. Or maybe he knows he's Bob F*#$@ing Dylan, and he can do whatever the hell he wants. Which could tie back into the whole senile explanation...enough. There's no way to explain this. Just watch Bob dance in a circle, drink wine (ok maybe that explains it...) and light a candle without once changing his facial expression. Pitchfork was right to file this under "WTF."

Last up is a video for Passion Pit's "Little Secrets." It takes place in outer space, which apparently is home to a giant disco ball and a weird geometric rocket containing a crazy looking bald guy. Said crazy looking bald guy likes to zoom around space in his rocket, until he crashes into the Earth. The whole video feels like a cross between bad '80s video game effects and Star Wars on acid. In other words: cool. The synth-soaked song also goes along really well with the whole space theme. The embedding is disabled, but you can watch it here.