Diversions

Hollywood Hopefuls: "The Dark Knight"

YouTube is a goldmine for hilarious videos of people making a fool of themselves—be it intentionally or not. Thousands of hopefuls promote themselves on the website, hoping for that one casting agent to take an interest and recognize that he or she—as opposed to all of the other wannabees out there—has some real skills. These attempts do not limit themselves to girls singing the latest Britney or shaking it to Beyoncé; aspiring actors also post their take on scenes from all sorts of movies. Every Monday, Hollywood Hopefuls will give one of them a taste of the spotlight. Are they ready for a one-way ticket to Hollywood, or should they save up for a roundtrip?

This week: CiscOreo’s rendition of The Joker in “The Dark Knight”

Click below to see and read more

“It is my goal to bring quality entertainment, and I truly am glad that you enjoy my performances of Ledger's "Joker.” This is what CiscOreo (male, 23, United States) promises on his YouTube page. Even though it’s debatable if we will like it just as much as his previous viewers, it’s true that he has a fan base. Each of his videos, thirty-seven and all Joker-imitations, has been viewed over 6000 times.

And how to better ‘live’ the role of the Joker than painting your face? Last year’s favorite Halloween-outfit seems to be this guy’s cue for putting on a voice and swallowing excessively. Even though CiscOreo exaggerates the traits that made Ledger’s Joker so characteristic, he deserves a major compliment for his voice. When I watched the first video, I actually thought he was engaging in some perverse form of play backing.

Since I didn’t want to deprive everyone of the guy’s real face, I chose a scene that he reenacted in part with, in part without make-up on. Notice how his skill level seems to skyrocket when he’s working that Joker-look.

CiscOreo clearly intended to copy Ledger instead of offering his own take on the role. It’s a shame he doesn’t take on any other characters, since his voice acting is promising. But based on these scenes, the privacy of his bedroom seems to be the best stage.

Hospital Scene: Original

Hospital Scene: CiscOreo, Part 1

Hospital Scene: CiscOreo, Part 2