Diversions

Misheard It Here: "American Pie"

There are multiple reasons why “American Pie” is up for clarification this week. Maybe it is the fact that I heard it in Ram’s Head Dining Hall following the UNC football victory on Saturday. Or maybe it’s because the song gives me a new sense of patriotism. So, in honor of me hearing the only Don McLean song that matters, here comes an abbreviated breakdown and my musings:

Hopefully, it is well known that McLean’s intention was to memorialize the tragic plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper (JP Richardson)-- according to McLean that is “the day the music died.” However, that is not entirely true.

The refrain:

Bye, bye Miss American Pie 
Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry 
Them good ol' boys were drinkin' whiskey 'n' rye 
Singin' this will be the day that I die.
This will be the day that I die.

As for the refrain, it simply reeks of American pride as well as a continuation of McLean’s fondness of Holly, his music and the 50’s decade as a whole. I always thought the lyrics were a bunch of strewn lines, but it seems they had definite intentions. American Pie? The sweet music of the 50’s. This will be the day that I die? A famous Buddy Holly song.

What better way to epitomize the beloved red, white and blue? Ultimately it breaks down to this: if you don’t eat apple pie, drive a Chevy or love Buddy Holly, you must not be an American. 

Additionally, it seems McLean decided to take us through a history of other musicians—ones that he deems are not as worthy as Mr. Holly. It almost plays out like a game of four square, with Dylan as the jester, Elvis as the king and the Rolling Stones as jack. Then, throw in some Satan (Jimi Hendrix or Mick Jagger, take your pick) and some Sergeant Peppers, and you’ve got a complete story. Or perhaps it’s just his way of slighting some other revolutionary musicians.

While Don McLean may have faded from music’s memory, if you find yourself near that jukebox in Ram’s , give the old tune a listen and impress those around you with your new found (or not) knowledge. 

Don McLean, "American Pie"