Diversions

Misheard It Here: "Juicebox"

Up this week, it’s The Strokes, masters of garage rock. Frenetic and fun, it doesn’t really matter what the band makes music about, because it is guaranteed to be a good time. 

However, a song that is named after a popular and cute children’s drink yet contains no reference in the actual lyrics, can be perplexing. Add a racing frenzy of screechy synthesizers, and you’ve got a song that isn’t at all cutesy or like casually drinking juice.

The lyrics:

Everybody sees me,

But it's not that easy,

Standing in the light field,

Standing in the light field.

Waiting for some action,

Waiting for some action

Oh but why won't you come over here?

We've got a city to love.

Why won't you come over here?

We've got a city to love.

Standing in the lightning

Waiting for some actress

Oh but why won’t you come over here? Naturally, one would think that the band might be waiting for some actress. It makes perfect sense, that “Juicebox” would be the story of boy meeting actress and then running off with said actress. Who could this actress be? I am thinking it might be Drew Barrymore or another femme one of these New York rockers is dating.Also, exactly why is this waiting occurring in a lightning storm? That doesn’t sound very safe at all, but oh what one must do for their actress. Too bad that's not what they are waiting for. Because it's action they want, not an actress (personally, i would take the actress).  What a disappointment (but not really). It seems Julian Casablancas can’t seem to distinguish between his words, as his voice literally decides to drop off at the very end of the lines. While the minor misinterpretation holds no true life-changing matter, it promises to cause confusion when it comes to singing along. But since it is The Strokes, it really doesn't matter what they say or how they say it, and there is hope that the band will always stay this way.

The Strokes "Juicebox"