Diversions

Interesting CD Releases for Jan. 19

The big release for this week is Spoon's Transference. Returning after the biggest hit of its storied career, 2007's Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, the classically minded Austin rock outfit returns with a more subdued collection of laid-back jams. From the few listens I've given it so far, I can tell you it's filled with the kind of fuzzed-out, retro-tinged introspection that's perfectly accompanied by an arm chair, a late night and a glass of fine bourbon. It also finds Spoon flexing their muscles, expanding their sonic pallet and letting loose another incredibly nuanced rock salvo. Looks like Spoon may well extend their rock 'n' roll dominance to another decade. Check out a full review of Transference in Thursday's edition of Dive.

Actor/singer Charlotte Gainsborough's Beck-produced-and-written LP IRM promises to be an interesting little musical excursion. From the two tracks I've heard, the title track and "Heaven Can Wait," a duet with Beck, the release seems to be trying to expand upon the experimental macabre style that Beck put to the fore with help from Danger Mouse on 2007's Modern Guilt. On these two tracks, Gainsborough's piercing croon seems more than up to the style, melding with Beck's rhythmic dirges with a soft insecurity that draws real emotion from the music's kitschy-cool terror.

Norway's Lindstrom is one of the best electronic musicians in the world, and this time around he's going the more accessible rout, adding the sensual heat of singer Christabelle to his irresistible grooves. The resulting Real Life Is No Cool, as evidenced by singles "Lovesick" and "Baby Can't Stop," look to be amazing. "Lovesick" is a creeping bit of back-alley sexuality that rides a piercing whisper and a luscious groove to pop transcendence. "Baby Can't Stop" draws Quincy-Jones-style grooves into the electronic realm, producing an insanely hot gem that's one of the best modern updates on Thriller I've heard in a while. Get excited, this one should be pretty great.