Diversions

Mixtape Round-Up: January 15-21

It's hard to not enjoy some Ludacris. The man is entertaining, has a good flow and now has his own liquor drank. To promote said liquor, Luda has released Conjure: A Hustler's Spirit (get it, spirit, like liquor). You aren't going to get any major exclusives on here, mostly some freestyles over other radio hits from the south and some re-released leaks from the past couple months, but like I said, it's Luda. The guy makes every song he's on sound better. He could literally read me Shel Silverstein and I'd be happy. Come to think of, that's the best idea I've ever had. Enough of my great ideas, download this, at least for his bodying of "All the Way Turnt Up." Where's the "I Wanna Rock" [Remix] we heard the other day though?

What's Good?: "All The Way Turnt Up," "Everybody Wit Me"

Tracklist and Download link for Conjure: A Huster's Spirit

KIDA is an artist I never knew too much about until he started dropping a song a day in the lead up to this tape. Even then it took me a couple songs to listen, it was only then because 9th Wonder had a track. The guy has skills though and a lot of help on the latest effort. Focus joins 9th, DJ Khalil and more to bring the heat to back KIDA's west coast vibe. Did I mention he's got Busta Rhymes, Little Brother, Talib Kweli, Kurupt, Crooked I and Jay Rock on one track? I should have. Shoot, wasted chance.

What's Good?: "HOLLA!" [Remix], "Fight this Feeling"

Tracklist and Download link for The Endemic Mixtape

SMKA brings you the second volume of their 808 Experiment for our last tape of the week. If I had to sum up the sound of the tape I'd lean toward what the title suggests. This is one of the most polished tapes production-wise I've listened to in a minute. People like SMKA that stick to what they do best, producing, and don't try to step from behind the boards like so many others have and failed make me happy. That of course leaves 21 tracks that need emcees, and almost every song features more than one artist which I also very much enjoy. Go to their website to check all the rappers. You can also stream there.

What's Good?: "Right Away" Feat. Outasight, Kyle Lucas and Jay West, "Back in my Younger Days" Feat. Shawn Chrystopher, Mums FP and Joe Scudda

Tracklist and Download link for The 808 Experiment: Volume 2