Diversions

Reel Deal: 10 Sequels to Expect in 2010

Having original movie ideas was so 2009. The very lucrative tradition of extending stories into multiple films (James Bond has 22 different adventures with six different actors) will define the cinema of the new year. Here’s a preview of the sequels to be released:

1.       “Iron Man 2”

Release Date: May 7

This is going to be more than just a superhero flick. With Robert Downey Jr. reprising his role as Tony Stark and Mickey Rourke cast as his nemesis Whiplash, the movie will be another one of Hollywood’s affirmations that the two actors’ careers have officially returned. Yeah, so Don Cheadle is replacing Terrence Howard as Lt. Colonel Rhodes... If director Jon Favreau’s original approach to the first Iron Man evinces itself in this film, I promise that you won’t even notice.

2.       “Shrek Forever After”

Release Date: May 21

If you’re a human being on this planet, then you’ve probably seen Avatar. In doing so, maybe you caught the trailer for the fourth installment of the Shrek series. The new movie will revolve around the wrongdoings of Rumpelstiltskin (Walt Dohrn), as Shrek also tries to handle life with his ogre family.

Click above to read more.

3.       “Sex and the City 2”

Release Date: May 28

Since the HBO show’s last feature film, several women celebrities have joined the cast, including Miley Cyrus, Liza Minnelli, Barbara Streisand, and Penèlope Cruz. Four more sassy, empowered women = twice the laughs.

4.       “Toy Story 3”

Release Date: June 18

I don’t care how old you are. You can’t help but get excited for the third installment of the classic Disney adventure. “Little Miss Sunshine” screenwriter Michael Arndt penned the script and, judging by the recently released trailer, he and Pixar have yet again breathed life into our favorite toy characters.

5.       “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse”

Release Date: June 30

Oh, do I loathe writing about this. As much as I am utterly despaired by how this human-vampire romance has come to define my generation, this list would be incomplete without Eclipse.  Plot description from Summit Entertainment – “As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob — knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf.”

6.       “Little Fockers”

Release Date: July 30

I know what you’re thinking – “Haven’t they recycled the risqué-nomenclature humor and the in-law dysfunction jokes enough?” But with the writer-director of the bromantic comedy “I Love You, Man” on board as screenwriter, you can be sure to expect some fresh laughs. Hopefully this will be enough to compensate for the absence of Dustin Hoffman, who was central to the few jokes that worked in the last film.

7.       “Jackass 3D”

Release Date: October 15

Same self-destructive morons. Same asinine humor… in 3D! The entire cast has decided to return for the newest display of juvenile stunts and raunchy pranks, beginning filming on January 25, 2010.

8.       “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I”

Release Date: November 19

After receiving overwhelmingly positive reviews for the Half-Blood Prince, director David Yates is set to direct Parts I and II of Harry’s last adventure. Part I will feature Harry, Ron, and Hermoine leaving Hogwarts intent on destroying the Horcruxes, the secret to Voldemort’s power.

9.       “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader”

Release Date: December 9

The newest Narnian tale involves our heroes being (literally) drawn into the Dawn Treader, a ship on which a new King Caspian appears.

10.   “Tron Legacy”

Release Date: December 17

In this sequel to the classic 1982 science-fiction film, Jeff Bridges reprises his role as Kevin Flynn who is still living inside the Tron world. His 27 year-old son, Sam (Garrett Hedlund), sets out to rescue him from the eerie electronic universe, facing the same gladiatorial challenges and  program enemies that his father confronted 25 years ago.

So, whether you’re into reckless nonsense or peachy family comedies, you have something to look forward to now. Those of you partial to the latter will enjoy this sneak peek video of “Toy Story 3” below. Don’t forget to check out the Reel Deal next week for more movie info. Oh, and to those of you who are upset that I didn’t mention the sequel “Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore” on my list, all I can say is… Really?