Diversions

Reel Deal: Paul Thomas Anderson's New Project - "Master"

If you’ve seen “There Will Be Blood” (especially the last five minutes of it), you’re well aware that director Paul Thomas Anderson is not afraid to explore religion in his films. In his uniquely harrowing way, he showed us the lions-and-lambs relationship between capitalism and faith in the divine.

In what will undoubtedly be a fresh look at religion, P.T. Anderson’s new project, “Master,” centers it’s story on a persuasive man who hatches a religion that catches on in 1952. The working title refers to this “master of ceremonies,” who gains notoriety with the great number of people he proselytizes. The story’s main focus is the relationship between The Master and Freddie, a young vagabond roped in to the religion who becomes the Master’s lieutenant. Freddie begins to question his faith, as well as the divine authority of the Master, sparking a “Blood”-esque struggle (minus the oil and the almost godly presence of Daniel Day-Lewis).

Click below to read more.

According to Variety, Anderson’s new project “explores the need to believe in a higher power, the choice of which to embrace, and the point at which a belief system graduates into a religion.”

Phillip Seymour Hoffman is attached to the role of “The Master.” The movie will be a phenomenal reuniting of two of cinema’s greatest talents, as Hoffman has almost always been featured in Anderson’s films, including “Boogie Nights,” “Magnolia,” and “Punch-Drunk Love.” Plus, after having seen “Doubt,” I can think of no better actor for a role demanding that you be a priest with questionable motives.

The budget is set at $35 million, but Universal won’t give a penny until Anderson’s finished with his script. As a huge P.T. Anderson fan, I hope this happens as soon as possible, but as Anderson is notorious for taking his time between pictures, I wouldn’t expect to see this picture until late 2011.

Why this film will rock: Paul Thomas Anderson has NEVER disappointed. In literally all of his five films, he blends an impeccable Altman-inspired style with the blazing originality of his characters and his writing. And with Phillip Seymour Hoffman at center stage, you KNOW this film will be masterfully done.

A blog post revering one of the most currently active talented directors would be utterly incomplete without a clip from one of his films. Here’s a scene from P.T. Anderson’s “There Will Be Blood” that’s only three and a half minutes long, but is sure to enrapture you with superb acting and compelling aesthetics.