Diversions

The Movie Trail for Jan. 19

Fans of thrilling triplane action should be excited about the release of “The Red Baron” trailer, a historical action film based on the exploits of the famed Manfred von Richthofen. Released a few years ago in Europe, a slightly pared-down version is slated for US release this year. While the trailer isn’t perfect, it’s somewhat original, as the ever-crowded war film genre doesn’t suffer from a glut of WWI aerial combat movies. Boasting Joseph Fiennes and the guy who played Hugo Stiglitz in “Inglourious Basterds,” “The Red Baron” could turn out to be a decent war flick.

Click above for more trailers.

Despite the fact I was born four years after the show’s initial run, I am inexplicably a fan of the original show “The A-Team.” I imagine it’s probably a result of early morning re-runs and my adolescent fascination with over the top violence. I also like Liam Neeson and director Joe Carnahan’s under-rated “Narc” is one of my favorite films, so the official trailer for “The A-Team” movie has me pretty pumped. Sure, it may not have Mr. T, but it does have a guy shooting down a plane using a tank-mounted machine gun as the tank parachutes towards earth.  And that’s good enough for me.

For another entry in the “movies nobody wanted” case file, we have “Tekken,” which looks like it’s continuing in the mid-90s tradition of the “Street Fighter” and “Mortal Kombat” movies. Because those were great films. But besides those of us nostalgic for the 90s, who exactly is demanding this adaptation of video game brawler that isn’t exactly known for its plot? Truthfully, I have absolutely no idea. Hey, don’t blame me, I preferred “Virtua Fighter.” For those of you who hate good cinema, check out the trailer below.