Diversions

Mixtape Round-Up: February 12-18

Mikkey Halsted is one of those homies that has been grinding for so long and has little but internet cred to show for it. For someone that worked with Kanye before he was Kanye and gotten props from a million other popular MCs, you'd think he'd have some more to show for it by now. But as Mikkey himself says, some of his songs may go over people's heads. I wouldn't go that far, but there's a lot to love in Mikkey. He's a gifted lyricist and by the likes of these unreleased tracks done between The Darkroom and The Photo Album, there's still a lot of gems.

What's Good?: All of it

Tracklist and Download link for Best You nEver Heard

I'm sure most of you out there are acquainted with Philadelphia's Freeway. Part of the State Property camp and once prodigy of Jay-Z, Freeway is the type of rapper that owns instrumentals. This project is comprised of original Eminem tracks, and while I'm not going to say he outdoes Em - it's not easy to do - with his comanding delivery and veracity he does make them his own for three minutes at a time. This was done in anticipation of Freeway and Jake One's new project, but you should cop this for free too.

What's Good?: "Role Model," "Freeway's Beard"

Tracklist and Download link for Freelapse

El Prez, a fairly fresh face on the national scene, hails from SoCal, so it becomes obvious why his new album - yes, album - was conceptualized around In-N-Out Burger. But just as dope as the food inspiration is the laid back tracks and flow of El Prez who has brought some fresh flavor from the often over-played-gangster niche LA takes. To go along with Prez, guests include Freddie Gibbs, Diz Gabran, Donwill, Shawn Chrystopher and more. Real nice listen and something to vibe on.

What's Good?: "Inglewood" Feat. Shawn Chrystopher, "2 Livc/Die in LA" Feat. Diz Gabran & Tunji

Tracklist and Download link for Animal Style!