Diversions

Mixtape Round-Up: February 5-11

Seeing as how the Saints prevailed in the Super Bowl Sunday, we'll kick things off with NOLA's own Curren$y. While at first I was reluctant to cosign(because my approval holds a lot of clout) Spitta because of his initial affiliations with Weezy, I've made a complete 180. With his nasally flow, the MC spits some of the laziest, yet intricate flows about chronic, girls and really anything. But I gotta love the drug raps, especially when partner in rhyme Wiz Khalifa joins him. I just love this tape all around. Nothing bad to say about it. Download now.

What's Good?: "Fat Raps" Feat. Chip the Ripper and Big Sean (yes, it's been around but damn this knocks), "Invincible Jets"

Tracklist and Download link for Smokee Robinson

Another project I've really been looking forward to is Donwill of Tanya Morgan's upcoming solo project based on the movie/book High Fidelity. Before he drops it though, he's given up Laura's Tape, another nod to the movie playing off the mixtape theme. Great concept, no? If you know Tanya Morgan, then you know they are on that okayplayer tip, and this is along the same lines. Smooth joints and old school flavor. Did I mention it's got a concept? I know I did, but it means so much to a hip-hop head like myself when rappers try something new.

What's Good?: "Ditto," "Top 5 Breakups" [Brick Beats Remix]

Tracklist and Download link for Laura's Tape

If for some reason you don't know 9th Wonder, please don't admit it. Just kidding, but really don't tell anybody. But here's a great remix tape by 9th to vibe on. Even if you're already a 9th stan cop it still, because it is nice. That's all there is to say about it. 9th invented the remix, again.

What's Good?: "Not Enough (More) (9th Wonder STILL Ain't Enough Remix)" Feat. Little Brother, "Wordplay (9th Wonder Lounging Around Remix)" Feat. A Tribe Called Quest & Consequence

Tracklist and Download link for 9th Wonder Invented the Remix, Again

Need more?

Cookin' Soul x J Dilla x Big Pun Big Dilla

Terry Urban Presents: The Dills (Unreleased Dilla Blends)

Re-Up Gang Cracksploitation Vol. 2

Kidz in the Hall Reality Bites