Diversions

Music News: February 8-14

Lil Wayne Not Going to Jail (Yet)

Courtesy of Pitchfork 

1. For all of you who haven’t heard, Lil Wayne isn’t getting locked up just yet. Although he was set to start his prison term on Feb. 9, a cracked tooth is keeping him out for the time being. Following his Feb. 12 surgery, Wayne will be free until March 2, when he is finally set to being his year-long term for attempted weapons possession. 

(via Pitchfork)

2. The White Stripes are facing off against the Air Force over what appears to be an unauthorized use of one of their songs for a commercial. The commercial, which aired during the Super Bowl and promotes the Air Force Reserve, has an instrumental backing that sounds an awful lot like “Fell in Love With a Girl.” The Air Force has pulled the ad, but still claims that the music in the commercial is original and not influenced by The White Stripes.

(via Pitchfork)

3. MGMT’s second album, Congratulations, is set to hit stores on April 13. This follow up to 2007’s break through, Oracular Spectacular, has nine tracks and is “definitely going to shock people,” according to MGMT’s Andrew Vanwyngarden. A supporting tour is also to be announced shortly.

(via Spin)

4. Grammy Award-winning Phoenix is beginning a world tour at the end of February, and has plans to stop in Cary, NC. Its fourth album, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, topped multiple charts since its May 2009 release and the band is ready to engage in some non-stop touring in promotion of the album.

(via Pitchfork)