Diversions

Music News Monday: January 24-31

Beyonce was the big winner at the Grammy awards (January 30), picking up six awards - but Lady Gaga (pictured) didn't do too badly either. She was nominated for five awards and won two, the recording prize for 'Poker Face', and the electronic/dance album prize for 'The Fame'. Pic: PA Photos

Courtesy of PA Photos

1. This year’s Grammys weekend honored Neil Young, named, featuring with a collection of artists such as Ben Harper, Dave Matthews, Norah Jones and Wilco performing Young’s songs. At Sunday night’s ceremony, wins included Phoenix’s Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix for Best Alternative Music.  Additionally, Lady Gaga racked up a few, Beyoncé ended the night with 6 awards (husband Jay-Z took home his own three awards) and Taylor Swift beat out the tough competition for Album of the Year.

(via Pitchfork and Spin)

2. Pete has done it again, but are we surprised? Babyshambles (and ex-Libertines) leader Pete Doherty was fined for dropping a bag of heroin in a courtroom during December.   Doherty was originally in court on accounts of reckless driving, when the heroin simply feel out of his pocket. In addition, Doherty has already been surrounded with bad news, as his manager pleaded guilty to a hit and run, and a famed Libertines’ filmmaker suddenly died Jan. 25.

(via Pitchfork and NME)

Click below to read more.

3. Native son Ben Folds is returning to the road this spring for a one night show with the North Carolina Symphony at Raleigh’s Meymandi Hall, featuring interpretations of songs spanning Folds’ 15 year music career. This collaboration will be Folds’ second and is scheduled for Mar. 25.

(via Music.MyNC)

4. My Morning Jacket announces a nine-show spring tour in which they will be joined by Preservation Hall Jazz Band. After being away from the road, the Kentucky band is back, additionally having recorded two new songs. MMJ will be making a stop in North Carolina, playing at Cary’s Koka Booth Amphitheatre on April 30.

(via Independent Weekly)