Diversions

Music Review: Islands

Islands

Vapours

(Anti)

Returning to simple guitar-pop roots bodes well for Islands in their third full length.

Thanks in part to the return of drummer Jamie Thompson, Island’s newest album takes on a breezier tone than their previous Arm’s Way. Stripped down tracks composed mostly of synths, guitars and drums give Nick Thorburn’s (aka Nick Diamonds) voice room to soar with Bono-like bigness.

Vapours’ is a refreshing mix with a large range of sounds. “No You Don’t” thrives off a simple message and synth-driven arrangement, while later songs like “The Drums” utilize Caribbean rhythms.

The beauty of the spartan composition used throughout Vapours is a welcome contrast to the cluttered overproduction of Return to the Sea, the band’s 2006 debut. The crunchy guitar and popping synths combine for a full but not overwhelming sound that is perfect for relaxing days by the poolside or as bright backing music for a day at work.

But there are still storm clouds amongst these rainbows. The vocoder effect of “Heartbeat” strips Thorburn’s voice, one of the group’s best elements, of all of its magnificent range. Islands should remember to let their front man’s pipes do the work they are more than capable of.

Catchy lyrics and a pleasing variety of styles give Vapours a depth that reveals itself more and more with each listen. It’s a formula that should extend their appeal beyond that of an 80’s wannabe pop band and into the rock mainstream.