Diversions

Mixtape Round-UP: March 19-25

In honor of UNC making the NIT Final Four, Dive's got four mixtapes for you this week. Think what I just said is lame? You should hear my jokes.

Biggest release of the week came courtesy of Mr. Asher "I Love College" Roth. His Seared Foie Gras with Quince & Cranberry tape is the emcee spitting his normal polysyllabic rhymes about licking titties and hanging out with his buddies Bangley and Boyder over an excellent choice of industry beats of present and past. I don't want to be too redundant here because there will be a review of this next Thursday in the print edition, but guests include Talib Kweli, Blu, Pac Div and Truck North; DJ Wreckineyez joins in for the cuts. Love him or hate him, the man warrants some respect.

What's Good?: "Fuck Your Ringtone, Dog," "Sour Patch Kids Remix" Feat. Talib Kweli, Blu and Travis Barker

Tracklist and Download link for Seared Foie Gras with Quince & Cranberry

I didn't post this a few weeks back when it dropped but after listening to the Talib's verse on the above tape, I figured what better time to bring back a dope project from a great artist. Teaming with Hevehitta - who in my opinion is hit or miss - Talib fills this with some new, some old, some remixed and some hard to find tracks. Pretty much a great compilation to hold someone over until a new album drops. It's just full of little things like a great freestyle from Shade 45 and an unreleased track with Little Brother that make you feel good.

What's Good?: "Getting My Grown Man On" Feat. Little Brother,  "Guerilla Monsoon Rap" Feat. Black Thought, Kanye West and Pharoahe Monch

Tracklist and Download link for A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Going on the rare, unreleased, remix tip and adding the warm weather we've been having, how about some summertime anthems courtesy of 1/2 of The Neptunes. Pharrell Williams may not be as in vogue as he once was, but some of his music is undeniably, well, awesome. Mick Boogie  - who is regularly behind great projects - put together the latest Sounds of Miami tape and used a formidable entertainer to provide the soundtrack. The "jiggy" era may be over but Pharrell is still a force.

What's Good?: "She Wants to Move (Native Tongues Remix)" Feat. Common, Mos Def, De La Soul and Q-Tip, "Sympathy for the Devil (Remix)" Feat. The Rolling Stones

Tracklist and Download link for Sounds of Miami Volume 4

If you do the Twitter thing or keep up with MTV related news, you would have heard about Diggy Simmons, son Rev. Run and MTV reality show star, signing with Atlantic Records this week. Just so you know, kid is no joke. I threw it out there a while back that I was behind him on my own twitter feed and I wasn't alone. His first mixtape which came out in December is pretty good and he's recently killed Drake's "Over," Jay-Z & J.Cole's "A Star is Born," and, most unbelievably, Nas' "Made You Look." Don't say I didn't tell you about kid. Oh yeah, his 15th birthday was this week too.

What's Good?: Those freestyles, damn.

Tracklist and Download link for The First Flight