Diversions

Music Review: Holly Miranda

Holly Miranda

The Magician's Private Library

(XL Recordings)

Sometimes it’s hard not to judge a book by its cover. The same can be said for an album and its title. But if you think think Holly Miranda's The Magician’s Private Library will bring a quirky, whimsical and interesting album, you’re in for an unpleasant surprise.

The attention-grabbing part of this debut album is the arrangements. Synths, piano, and ambient noise swirl together, punctuated by a horn section that pops up every now and then to keep things interetsing. It creates a great atmosphere, due in part to producer Dave Sitek from TV on the Radio. But although TV on the Radio is known for their textured and layered compositions, Miranda’s presence is not strong enough to stand out against such a lush backdrop.

Throughout the album, Miranda’s smooth and smoky voice almost never rises above a thoughtful mummer. It’s a baffling move – live performances like on the popular Black Cab Sessions, show she has a soulful and strong voice that will bring comparisons of Cat Power and Norah Jones. But here, it’s a droning afterthought on each song, hardly inviting you to listen to her lyrics.

And yet there are flashes of what this album could be, if Miranda actually focused the spotlight on herself. “No One Just Is” is a dark, slow-building breakup song that allows Miranda’s voice to be at the forefront and bring suspense. And “Slow Burn Treason” lets Miranda showcase her range.

The talent here is clear, but buried. Miranda is going to have to make some different stylistic choices in the future, because right now what she’s offering up is not compelling enough for listeners to put any effort into digging for it.