Diversions

Reel Deal Blog: "When You're Strange: A Film About the Doors"

If you love The Doors as much as I do, then you’ve probably seen Oliver Stone’s 1991 catastrophe “The Doors,” which depicted the band as bunch of drunkards engaging in a half-assed self-fulfilling prophecy whose theatrics outshine the poignancy of their work.  Replete with historical inaccuracies and blatant instances of Stone’s signature over-dramatization of true events, the film took the legacy of one of the most influential rock bands to ever enter the national consciousness and, as Jim Morrison would say, “ravaged and plundered and ripped her and bit her, stuck her with knives in the side of the dawn, and tied her with fences and dragged her down.”

But here to finally salvage the band from a tainted public perception is Tom DiCillo, writer and director of the soon-to-be-released rockumentary, “When You’re Strange: A Film About The Doors.” As the title suggests, the movie chronicles the revolutionary and controversial lifespan of The Doors, exploring both the chemistry between the band members and the historic death of lead singer Jim Morrison. The film was a major crowd-pleaser during its run in the film festival circuit, and has generated strong critical reception within the past several months.

Two main reasons for the hype: First, it’s narrated by Johnny Depp (yes, the Johnny Depp), who, in the trailer, delivers Morrison’s poetry in a hypnotic, Doorsy whimsy which enchants you to see this movie. Secondly, the film’s 90 minutes are almost entirely comprised of never-before-seen footage of the musicians, allowing for a more intimate and candid look into a band which many people saw as a group of buffoons.

DiCillo, best known for his satirical works (“Delirious,” “The Real Blonde”) and his debut Sundance contender (and Brad Pitt’s first appearance in a leading role) “Johnny Suede,” used his passion for The Doors’ music as his main inspiration to do the band justice. In fact, this film was put together as a collaborative effort between DiCillo, Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek, and drummer John Densmore.

Manzarek stated about the film, “This is the anti-Oliver Stone. This will be the true story of the Doors." Ray, you had me at “anti-Oliver Stone.” That term alone suggests unexaggerated history, fair and accurate representations of real people, and, most importantly, unvarnished truth.

To me, this documentary is the one and only cinematic means (for me, the most powerful means) of knowing the story behind these legendary artists whose work I know and love. Their music and lyrics have a peculiar way of suspending you in mood, enrapturing you in rhythmic subtleties and Morrison’s bluesy energy. I can only hope for this documentary to be as sobering as the rockstars it explores.

That’s it for this week. Be sure to check out the Reel Deal next Friday for more movie info. Until then, here’s the kick-ass trailer for “When You’re Strange: A Film About the Doors,” which will be released in select theaters April 9th.