Diversions

The Movie Trail for Mar. 16

Remember the ‘80s sci-fi flick “Tron?” I don’t. I was born in 1990. While only a modest success at the time, it’s turned into something of a cult film and is notable for being one of the first major films to use extensive computer animation. And now we’ve got ourselves a sequel set for release in December of this year. As opposed to a lot of recent series reboots/remakes, “Tron: Legacy” actual features some of the original cast and is a linear progression of the tale of interactive cyber competition. The trailer’s actually pretty cool, and the graphics look like they could really take advantage of the planned 3D presentation. Plus anything featuring Jeff Bridges is generally awesome.

Looking to revive the spirit of the original “Get Carter” is Michael Caine’s new vigilante film “Harry Brown.” Caine stars as the titular Harry, and aging former soldier who leads a quiet life in a housing complex that is rapidly turning into a hotspot of youth crime. When his best friend is killed, the gun-toting geriatric is forced to clean up what the police couldn’t. The trailer actually highlights equal parts violence and emotion, and Caine is a top-notch actor capable of pulling off the role without resorting to “Death Wish”-levels of kitschy violence.

I have few words for the new trailer for “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse.” I hate the film with a passion, but its absurd level of popularity and my role as a movie critic requires me to give a shit, professionally at least. And yes, I watched the whole damn trailer, hoping nobody in the library saw me.