Diversions

The Movie Trail for Mar. 23

The biggest news this week is the premiere of the trailer for “Predators,” the reboot of the classic franchise that began in the late 80s before eventually devolving into the steaming pile of crap that is the “Aliens vs. Predator” series. While director Nimród Antal’s resume isn’t all that impressive (the tepid “Armored” and “Vacancy” are his only two American films) this trailer looks pretty good compared to a lot of remakes. To be fair, the only great “Predator” movie was the first, so there isn’t as much to compete with. With Laurence Fishburne, Danny Trejo, and multiple Predators, this could be an exercise in badassery.

I kind of aged out of the “Shrek” movies after the second one, but I certainly remember actually enjoying them. Creative ideas tend to wane by the time a series has reached its fourth installment, but the trailer for “Shrek Forever After” makes me want to give it the benefit of the doubt out of sheer nostalgia. This trailer does present one thing of particular interest to me, most notably in the form of the character Puss in Boots. I’d always wondered why the character wore a hat and boots, but no trousers; clothes on an anthropomorphic cat seem like an all-or-nothing affair. That being said, it appears that the Puss in Boots of the alternate world of Far Far Away has apparently given up clothes entirely. Crazy.

<

I picked up a copy of the Korean film “The Good, The Bad, The Weird” about a year ago after reading a review of it from the Toronto Film Festival. I was treated to one the funniest and most inventive takes on the spaghetti-western genre in recent memory, both a tribute to Sergio Leone’s “Man With No Name” trilogy (most notably “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly”) and its own unique film. Although released in 2008, it appears it will finally be getting a US release sometime in April. If it comes anywhere near your town, I urge you to see it. Check out the kickass to trailer below.