Diversions

Woods: Snapshots of Timing and Places

Woods are a self-claimed “psychedelic folk” or “freak folk” band out of Brooklyn whose jam sensibility surpasses that of any act of late with shades of folk. Behind a vastly touted 2009 release, “Songs of Shame,” the band has recently acquired a newfound extensive welcoming by not only music enthusiasts but the general public at large.

“We’ve been packing it in there and really playing a million times,” said Lucas Crane, the band’s tape-effects technician and improvising extraordinaire. “We’ve really become a touring unit when it comes to live shows.”

Woods is currently on a month long trek with pals Real Estate. The bands mapped out a two week route to Austin, Texas’ South By Southwest festival through Canada and Kansas via New York, playing five shows on the way.

While in Austin they played 6 shows in 3 days, an astounding feat that isn’t uncommon at South By Southwest, but one that Woods prides itself on. “It’s not 11, it’s not 13. We know a lot of bands that do that kind of thing,” said Crane. “We decided to go for quality over quantity this year.”

The bands are now en route for their launching mark with shows in Nashville, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, and Durham’s very own Duke Coffeehouse. This will be the first time that Woods will have ever played in the triangle area. Opening for the bands will be local act Soft Company.

The band is currently perfecting their fifth studio album, At Echo Lake, which will be released on May eleventh through Woodsist, lead singer Jeremy Earl’s own label.

“It’s much more cerebral. It’s just you and the page,” Crane said about composing At Echo Lake. “Each one (album) is a snapshot of the timing and places that it’s been constructed around. So it’s the same, but different.”

Their low-fidelity folk sound, fire pit lyrical composition, rustic genius, and genuine fun will be intimately shared with 250 fortunate souls Sunday in Durham.

Woods plays Durham's Duke Coffehouse tonight with Real Estate and Soft Company. Show starts at 9 p.m. and costs $10.