Diversions

Mixtape Round-Up: April 2-8

I know everybody reading this is getting ready for the Dive Party on Friday so I'll keep this week simple.

Rhymefest, who's El Che we've been waiting on for about 4 good years now, dropped his latest mixtape and hasn't lost a beat. Although he at times sounds like a second coming of hip-hop's original crotchety grandpa KRS-One with his rants and all, he's still a dope emcee. Throw in some Little Brother appearances and you've got something every hip-hop head will enjoy. Apparently these tracks were assembled the first time El Che was being put together and J Records didn't like them. Go figure.

What's Good?: "Do It Again," "Letter" Feat. John Mayer

Tracklist and Download link for Dangerous 5:18

Signed to SRC/Universal, Marky is an dude to look at for. Nice flow, nice rhymes and all-around good sound. You can tell this guy has his own expectations of where he's going as well by the theme of his mixtape. This is essentially an EP with only seven songs, but what better way to introduce yourself to Marky. Also, fans of HBO's How to Make it in America should peep "Rasta Monsta," which goes in over the extra-dope theme song.

What's Good?: "Rasta Monsta," "Arizona Lemonade"

Tracklist and Download link for Journey to Markyland, USA: Rest Stop 1

Lastly, this is something that got overlooked a week back. Charles Hamilton used to put out like, literally three tapes a week. The man has talent, but after intense overexposure, quantity over quality and some miscues (citing J Dilla as an executive producer - a man he never met - on his shelved debut), Charles was quiet. Now he's back with a much more polished sound and apparently his last mixtape. So, here's his mixtape swan song.

What's Good?: "She Speaks," "Investment Music"

Tracklist and Download link for The Binge 3: Charles Hamilton's Last Mixtape