Diversions

Reel Deal: "Kill Bill: Vol. 3"

Near the end of “Kill Bill: Vol. 2,” after slaughtering countless villains by chopping off their heads, plucking out their eyeballs, ripping out their entrails, and stabbing at their faces, The Bride (Uma Thurman) shoots a stoic, bloodthirsty gaze at Bill (David Carradine) and says, “You and I have unfinished business.” Bill responds in a fierce whisper, “Baby, you ain’t kidding.”

I’m very happy to report that director Quentin Tarantino and Uma Turman have some unfinished business. The director recently confirmed rumors that “Kill Bill: Vol. 3” was in the works, revealing to an interviewer on an Italian talk show that “the Bride will fight again.” But, much to the disappointment of Tarantino fans across the world, he plans to wait until 2014 to begin production.
2014… as in four years from now… Dammit!

Tarantino explained of the four-year wait: "Two reasons: One, I think me and Uma needed a ten year break. And the second one, I love the character and I think she deserves ten years of peace. She deserves ten years of no fighting, she deserves ten years with her child Beebe. I put her through a lot in those first two movies and I just want her to have a nice peaceful life for ten years."

Two popular rumors have been circulating concerning the plot of the third installment. The first involves two surviving members of the Crazy 88’s, a Japanese gang massacred by the Bride in the first film, seeking revenge against the Bride (which would be profoundly disappointing given how insignificant the Crazy 88’s have been thus far in the trilogy). The second and far more interesting plot rumor involves Nikki Green, whose mother Vernita Green (Vivica A. Fox) was murdered by the Bride in the first movie, avenging her mother’s death, just as the Bride suggested her to do after she killed Vernita. Specifically, when little Nikki stands in her kitchen speechless at the sight of her dead mother, the Bride whispers, “When you grow up, if you still feel raw about it… I’ll be waiting.” This coincides with Tarantino’s decision to wait on production, as the time lapse between films may also serve as the time lapse between younger Nikki and older Nikki.

Those of you who follow movie buzz may be thinking to yourselves, “Yeah, well Tarantino has always been full of empty promises. He announced ‘Inglourious Basterds’ in 2002, and it took him seven years to finally make it. He also promised “The Vega Brothers” and his hyped Deep South spaghetti western, but nothing has come to fruition.” Let me point out that Tarantino’s most recent promise, completing “Inglourious Basterds” in time for the Cannes Film Festival was fulfilled (fulfilling in both the release date and film quality, I might add), and the “Kill Bill” franchise, as lauded as it is, will likely be more demanded by the public than any of Tarantino’s future projects.

That’s it for this week. Check back with the Reel Deal next Friday for more movie info. Until then, here’s the really fun fight scene between the Bride and Vernita Green which ends with the hint of Nikki Green’s future revenge.