Diversions

The Movie Trail for April 27

Although its title is incredibly deceiving, “Get Low” is not the latest urban dance flick. It’s actually a dark comedy starring Robert Duvall as Tennessee hermit who isolated himself from the world for 40 years before returning to the world to plan his own living funeral party. The trailer was a lot better than I thought it would be, taking a much more measured and dark comedic tone instead of going for broad “grumpy old man” jokes, not to mention highlighting Bill Murray’s supporting role. As he proved in “Secondhand Lions,” Duvall can play a codger without resorting to excessive sappy life lessons, so he seems like a great choice here. The US trailer for the British thriller “The Disappearance of Alice Creed” is short, but it packs a lot in. It’s a story about two men who meticulously plan the kidnapping of the daughter of a wealthy businessman, only to find out that their captive is much more willing to fight back than they thought. What looks most promising is that the action appears to be concentrated in small, enclosed sets, which I think always helps bring the tension to a boiling point in a thriller (think the warehouse in “Reservoir Dogs”). Hopefully, Alice’s resistance to her captors is tempered in reality, as movies where the average hero suddenly finds absurd superhuman strength to fight back are pretty annoying, and tend to play more as straight action fare. The “High School” teaser trailer makes zero sense. It really doesn’t provide a sense of what the movie is about, and pretty much has to be accompanied by a plot synopsis. In the face of mandatory drug testing at his high school, valedictorian and stoner Henry Burke (Matt Bush) decides to get the entire student body high in order to throw off the test and save his scholarship. However, Bush does not appear in the trailer. That would be Adrien Brody, who is credited on IMDB as “Psycho Ed” and seems to be doing his best Batman imitation. See what you think below.