Diversions

Phoenix Rises In Cary

On Friday night, Phoenix and The Love Language made Cary cool — noise limits and abundant suburbs be damned.

When you form a bill with two bands that have such magnetic stage presence and delectable, irresistible pop songs, the show is bound to be spectacular. But Friday's show surpassed even the most ardent fan's French pop fantasies.

The Love Language opened, blasting Koka Booth Amphitheatre with catchy indie pop. The set lasted about 45 minutes and showcased several songs from the band's upcoming release, Libraries. Stu McLamb's velvety voice still rang dreamy through the large amphitheater, as intimate and warm as any show at a smaller venue. The band's instrumentation was equally charming — Missy Thangs, BJ Burton, Jordan McLamb and Justin Rodermond exuded chemistry on stage, smiling and thrashing as each song wound to a climactic finish.

As evening fell, Phoenix took to the stage. The first tinkling chords of "Lisztomania" were enough to induce screams. Thomas Mars and company bopped across the stage as an elaborate light display flashed in time to the music, casting patterns over the pit section of the audience. The group played Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix in its entirety, and nearly every song elicited a frenzied sing along. It was a show for the fans, and Mars recognized the crowd's adoration with graciousness.

The band left the stage after its performance of "Rome," then reemerged for a five song encore. Mars and guitarist Christian Mazzalai played a phenomenal cover of fellow French band Air's "Playground Love," a mellow and breathy break from the intricate light displays and instrumentation that preceded it. 

The encore ended with "1901." Once again, the lights at the back of the stage pulsed in time with the song's driving beat, and after several choruses, Mars plunged into the pit section of the venue. It was a climactic and unexpected end to the high-energy show, and it cemented the already steadfast connection between the fans and the music.

Phoenix might be the current monarch of French pop, but it's not untouchable — it's a pop sovereign by the people and for the people, and the band's performance in Cary proved just how deep that loyalty runs.

Note: Due to photography restrictions, Diversions was prohibited from photographing Phoenix's performance.