Diversions

Hump Day Bump Day, 10/13

Chris Young The Rapper 1991

Chris Young The Rapper – 1991 EP

Make sure you add “the rapper” when you search Chris Young, otherwise you’ll find your ears cringing to the sounds of a country artist of the same name. “1991 EP” was produced by Cisco Adler, who has recently produced for Mike Posner and Shwayze, so look out for Chris Young The Rapper to be blowing up in the near future. Young’s debut EP is an ode to the days, circa 1991, when rap was about music and not the money. He sticks his middle finger to the rap industry on “Do You Love It (The Record Biz).” Making valid points and sticking to his flow, this song is an impressive first track, even though it’s the second on the mixtape (intro tracks are unnecessary and don’t count as a song). “Masterpiece” slacks a little from the preceding song but a smooth chorus and guest appearance from reefer-fiend Del the Funky Homosapien create the crowning achievement of the EP, “Stoned.” The ’70s soul sample in “Stop” combined with the hippie/change-the-world attitude of the lyrics would fit great into a few scenes in Forrest Gump. This 21-year-old speaks to a wide variety of people, from college to those in a relationship. He isn’t one to spit about the typical raunchy topics that pollute the airways; he has a social consciousness that pervades his lyrics, a nice change of pace from your average mixtape.

Dope Lyric: “Ask N.A.S.A., I’m flyer than all of you. And you just do it for the money, like a prostitute.”
Spin These: “Stop,” “Stoned” and “Do You Love It (The Record Biz)”
Download 1991 EP from his Bandcamp.

Pat-Lee – Pat-Lee The Name EP

Pat-Lee has an inflated sense of self in regards to his music abilities. He name drops Ludacris and references Jay-Z in “Number 1,” which are clearly out of his league. His website bio (written by him, most likely — it’s overly complimentary) alleges he isn’t your typical “Southern-Swag” rapper. This is clear to hear after you listen to Pat-Lee The Name EP because he doesn’t have the street credibility to back up these bold claims of swagger and rags-to-riches stories he claims. He thinks very highly of himself because he raps about himself in every song, and after listening to the first four songs, it gets old. He does have the T.I. and Ludacris big-bass, basic rhythmic patterns that are relatively easy to flow to but they are the highlights of many of the songs. The songs have longer-than-needed introductory talking or build-up, time better spent listening to him rap about himself. This 20-year-old rapper from Birmingham, Alabama presents lyrics that have potential and intelligence but until he stops rapping about himself, he’s not going to be any semblance of a Southern legend.

Sample Arrogant Lyric: “On the regular I’m know as Mr. Popular so they saying please get on set you ‘re Mr. Superstar.”
Spin These: “Goodbye” and “Addicted To Fresh”
Download the EP free on his website.

Bertell – The Frat Party, The Waffle House, The Dorm Room

Bertrell The Frat Party The Waffle House The Dorm Room

Let’s end this post on a high note, a mixtape whose name theoretically should be the quintessential Hump Day Bump Day mix. Bertell, the R&B protégé of Capitol Records (according to his Twitter), has compiled “The Frat Party, The Waffle House, The Dorm” as an ode to a Thursday night. Let’s just say, it’s a good thing this mixtape isn’t long enough to play from the time you get to the frat house until you fall asleep with that special (or yourself) someone in a lofted Hinton James bed. He has an impressive singing voice compared to Ray J but it may not be as seductive as The Dream’s. There is an impressive array of guests on this tape, including Twista and Bobby Valentino as well as a duet with none other than Al Green. “Beat It Up” features the spitting fury of Twista and is the standout song on the tape, but “Headboard” with Valentino is a close second. Unfortunately the duet with Al Green, which is more or less a cover of his song “Simply Beautiful,” is a dent in the tracklist because it is noticeably slower than the rest of the album. It’s a little confusing to follow how the mixtape goes along with its title. It is split up into three sections separated by skits, but the Waffle House skit is more upbeat than the frat party (however, all apply to the dorm room). To sum this up mixtape up, it’s a collection of bedroom jams by a soon-to-be-R&B-star.

Dope Lyric: “Sounds of making love. Touching your body got me in and girl I want more. I’m going to leave it sore.”
Spin These: “Bed Squeak,” “Beat It Up,” and “Waffle House Skit”
Download The Frat Party, The Waffle House, The Dorm Room here.