Diversions

Music Review: Adam Haworth Stephens, "We Live on Cliffs"

2.5 Stars
Pop/rock

If you’ve ever had an especially weak cup of coffee or tea, then you’ll understand the frustration that comes with listening to Adam Haworth Stephens’s debut album. You can taste the potential, but it lacks potency.

Stephens, who is also singer and lead guitarist of San Francisco country/rock group Two Gallants, has crafted an album that strays more into indie rock territory.

Solo piano, synth, acoustic or electric guitar starts each song, which ultimately turn into a full-bodied guitar-focused piece. It’s nice and predictable, and by the fourth song the realization hits that Stephens is content to put forth easygoing, slow tempo, introspective songs.

But it’s a formula that wears out easily, and there’s just not enough charisma to make you forget about the mediocrity. Plaintive choruses like “If I let you down/treat you unkind/ no that’s not me, that’s my second mine” on “Second Mine” only pique minimal interest. And lines that strive to be interesting like “wake on the floor in your designer clothes/ so refined, you think that country’s just a state of mind,” come off as forced and contrived.

The point where Stephen’s potential is clearest is near the end of the album with “Angelina,” which starts off a love song but becomes a wrestle between love and hate. He sings, “The news is out/all over town/ that the ring is off/ and you’ve gained 10 pounds.” It’s clever and engaging, and interestingly contains only drums, synths and mandolins. The ability to create songs that don’t need vanilla instrumentation makes one wonder why this is the only song like it on the album.

Stephens has no problem creating pretty and earnest songs, but like tons of movies and books have tried to teach, beauty isn’t everything. Stephens will have to hone a more engaging sound if he plans to take his solo act further.