Diversions

Moogfest: Day 3

The weekend after Moogfest and Dive is still trying to mentally digest all the incredible shows. As expected, the Halloween freaks and phantoms came out in all their glory on Sunday night, and Dive was on hand to capture all the festive craziness.

There were several mind-blowing shows (although none were as unexpected as Jonsi’s Saturday night set) — Sleigh Bells killed it at Thomas Wolfe auditorium, blaring six Marshall amps loud enough to make the cavernous facility feel like a well-suited dive bar. It was one of the few acts to really gets folks out of their seats, and we caught plenty of arms flailing and heads banging. Few frontpeople have the same charisma as Alexis Krauss; it was impossible to get photos with the cave-dark lighting and the strobes the band seems to have a penchant for using, but take our word for it.

It’s not really a surprise, but Pretty Lights certainly lived up to its name — as one of the bigger Civic Center shows of the night, the DJ spun amidst images of gerbera daisies, flashing symbols and wild, colorful lighting. The music itself wasn’t as pioneering as many of the other acts we caught, but there was plenty of entertainment value. The crowd (whether they were squashed together on the floor level or grooving in the mezzanine) was really engaged, and for a late Sunday night, it was a testament to Pretty Lights’ popularity among the electronic music lovers’ set.

For a glimpse at how quickly Moogfest went (or at least how it felt), check out Assistant Diversions Editor Joe Chapman’s time-lapse of Saturday night shows in the Civic Center, as well as several photos from various sets.

Younger Brother

Pretty Lights

Dam Funk